35| 𝑪𝒉𝒐𝒄𝒐𝒍𝒂𝒕𝒆

Start from the beginning

The emergency room is a couple of miles away. I felt my hands trembling in the steering wheel as I drove to the hospital. My mom decided to tag along.

As soon as I brought Murphy in, he threw up all over the floor again and fell unconscious. I nearly fainted. I was sure he was dead. His body was cold, and his breathing was labored.

What was happening to him while I was gone?

The hospital staff quickly attended to Murphy, and he was rushed away.

"Is Murphy going to be okay?" Charlie asked me with scared eyes.

I nodded. Truthfully I didn't know. I was beside myself in fear. All of my calls to Josh and Theo went unanswered. Just what type of family are they?

"Stassie," Cole said, entering the waiting room.

"Dr. Nunez," I answered him formally.

He was holding a clipboard. There was a serious expression on his face.

"Is he okay?" I cried. I felt at any moment I was going to throw up.

"I'm sorry Stassie, I have to speak to a parent. Where are his parents? I have to speak to a guardian." He said professionally.

"COLE! TELL ME, PLEASE! IS HE OKAY?" I shouted. I know I was panicking, but I could not take it anymore. I could not take another second of waiting. I needed to know if he was okay.

The view of Murthy's small body on the floor is burned in my mind.

He gulped then let out a sigh. "He's going to be fine. I've been trying to reach out to you for weeks. There have been traces of cleaning chemicals in his blood system. Not too much, but enough to gradually get him sick."

"What?" I said in complete shock.

I know the twins are stupid, reckless motherfuckers, but they are not the type of "stupid" to ingest cleaning supplies. I would never expect this from them.

"Right now he is stable. I have him on antibiotics. He should be fine, but Stassie, I have to report this to child services. This is the very definition of child negligence." He said sternly.

A swarm of guilt began to consume me. I nodded my head. "I understand," I said to him. I was doing my best to refrain from crying.

"Good luck with everything. Take care Stassie." He said before walking off.

I wanted to cower into a ball and cry my eyes out. How can something like this happen under my nose? Josh is a horrible parent, and I'm a horrible nanny. I felt so guilty I let something like this slip past me.

My mom was cradling Charlie. It warmed my heart at the sight of it. He took a liking to her.

I walked over to them and pulled Charlie into a hug. I began crying like a baby. I am the worst nanny ever. I came into this job for money. I ended up befriending these two monsters. I would do anything for them. I also ended up falling in love with Theo. This was not the plan. Everything was not supposed to turn out like this.

"Charlie, you guys have to be careful from now on. You can't drink cleaning supplies. What the fuck is the matter with you boys. You can die drinking shit like that." I said seriously.

"What are you talking about? We don't!" He stammered. He was upset that I even accuse them of such a thing.

The twins are smart. Too smart sometimes. It does not make sense.

"It could be the chocolate," Charlie uttered as he wiggled his fingers together.

Chocolate?

I don't give those assholes candy. It would just make them more hyper than they already are.