22| 𝑯𝒂𝒚𝒘𝒊𝒓𝒆

Author Note - I was supposed to publish this chapter much sooner but I ended up getting so sick. Turns out I had freaking COVID!!!!!!!!!! Like WTF!! I guess that horrible sickness is still going around! 😵‍💫

Idk what is going on, but it seems like a lot of ppl are catching it again. I don't want to get into another quarantine... or do I 🤗 jk.

My relationship with my father is and always has been complicated

My relationship with my father is and always has been complicated. I haven't heard from him since I was sixteen years old. Once he got his official diagnosis of schizophrenia, he vanished. In my last contact with him, he was living on the streets, guzzling alcohol like water. Growing up with a parent with severe mental issues is something I do not wish on anyone.

He was not a bad father by any means. He was in a constant inner battle with the scenarios that would consume his mind. He was a conflicted man. He was kind, and he was funny.

My mother, bless her soul, never took the proper measures to get him the help he desperately needed. It was always her first instinct to bring him to church whenever he was having these schizophrenic episodes, and ultimately the devil was to blame. It was always the devil.

"Hello again, this way." The doctor said, leading me to the back room.

He was the same handsome doctor that tended to Murphy's rash the other day. I wasn't too sure last time, but I got a better view of him this time around. He didn't have a ring on his left hand.

I slowly trailed behind Dr. Nunez. He led me to the room. I paused when caught a glimpse of my father. His eyes were closed, and his skin was pale. The beeping noise circulated the room. He was hooked onto so many machines, and my body had an immediate autocratic reaction to seeing him in this state. I placed my trembling hand over my mouth. I felt my entire body begin to go into a barrage of emotions.

With everything hitting me all at once, I took a couple of steps backward. I unintentionally ended up bumping into Theo's hard chest. I turned my neck to look at him. His eyes were piercing at me. He gave me a reassuring smile. As much as I pleaded for him to let me come here alone, he persisted to come. Charlie and Murphy are currently at the house. Some of the staff members agreed to watch the twins after I told them I had a family emergency.

"How long does he have?" I summoned the courage to ask Dr. Nunez.

He grabbed the chart and quickly skimmed through it.

"His liver is failing due to his consumption of alcohol over the years. I don't think your father will last a week quite honestly. I think it's best to make your final arrangements." He answered with a deadpan expression.

I gulped.

The alcohol problem he developed over the years is due to all of the "voices" in his head. It was the only time he could block them out.

I licked my lips. Theo grabbed my hand, and I felt an immediate ease from him. Even though he did not have to be here, it was comforting to have him with me at my side. I truly appreciated having his support during this time.