chapter sixty-four

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

❝ i lost a lot back then. ❞

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

CARINA LET OUT an exasperated groan before beginning to run her hands through her dark waves, her brows pulled together while her heart hammered in her chest. She couldn't grasp what had possessed her heart to reopen such a delicate wound, allowing herself to see past what Vader chose to show.

He was nothing more than a lying, manipulative Sith— she was thoughtless for thinking he could be anything but. The man she loved was gone— it became a mantra she forced herself to repeat constantly. Long ago she truly believed that.

Algora pulled her gaze towards the window, swallowing thickly as her stress began piling up. Her emotions running wild as she thought of her previous conversations with her husband.

"I am sorry."

"Would you have been able to do it?"

"You were everything good I had."

"You kept it."

"I never loved or wanted anything more than I did you."

Carina shut her eyes tightly, letting out a strangled noise before allowing her knees to give out. She hit the floor with a thud before the objects surrounding her began to rattle, shaking violently while her chest heaved.

Her eyes glossed over with unshed tears, the empty glass cup and lamp that were perched on her nightstand shattering. The noise echoed throughout the room, the wardrobe that rested behind her threatening to crack if she did not control herself.

Algora let out a choked gasp, her trembling hands clenching and unclenching themselves as she struggled to gain control over her emotions. The brunette let out a shaky breath before finally calming herself, the furniture in her room finally being left still as her arms went limp to her sides.

Twelve. She felt like that twelve year old padawan she used to be whenever she struggled to contain her reactions. How different times were back then though.

Carina ran a shuddering hand over her face, flinching slightly when a tear rolled down her cheek. The brunette shuffled her legs to pulls her knees up to her chest, resting her back and head against the dresser.

The mother clenched her jaw, closing her eyes as her breathing finally slowed. Algora didn't dare fight the exhaustion that creeped up on her, allowing it to simply consume her.