chapter forty

❝ i lost everything because of you

❝ i lost everything because of you. ❞

CARINA NARROWED HER EYES slightly as she felt the ship begin to violently rumble. The brunette looked over at Obi-Wan who shared her worried gaze.

The mother immediately darted towards the cockpit with Kenobi and Skywalker following as her eyes fell on the scattered asteroid collision. She grit her teeth harshly before looking down at Han, "I thought you said we were approaching Alderaan."

Solo glanced over at the radar, "Our position is correct, except— no, Alderaan."

Carina knitted her brows together in confusion as she gazed out into the meteor crowded space before them.

Luke had an incredulous expression embedded on his features, "What do you mean? Where is it?"

"That's what I'm trying to tell you, kid. It ain't there. It's been totally blown away."

The brunette's lips slightly parted as she breathed out, "You said the Empire had taken Leia hostage, right?"

Obi-Wan held a grim expression, "Destroyed by the Empire."

Carina let out a heavy breath as she tried to grasp the fact that an entire planet had been destroyed. Her mind immediately went to Bail and Breha, all the innocent families that lived on that planet, from one moment to another all those lives had been taken.

What kind of army had that power?

Alderaan had always been beautiful and known to be peaceful. Her lower lip trembled as she grieved for her daughter, knowing how utterly broken Leia would be over the loss of her home.

Han furrowed his brows as he heard what Kenobi had said, "The entire starfleet couldn't destroy the whole planet. It'd take a thousand ships with more fire power than I've—"

A signal began flashing on the radar before an alarm started ringing, "There's another ship coming in."

"Maybe they know what happened?"

Carina clenched her jaw, "It's an Imperial fighter."

Chewie let out a noise as an explosion burst before them, the ship shaking as a result before the fighter flew right by them. Luke watched the aircraft, "It followed us."

Carina shook her head in disagreement, "No, that's a short range fighter."

"There aren't any bases around here. Where did it come from?"

Luke pursed his chapped lips in worry, "It sure is leaving in a big hurry. If they identify us, we're in big trouble." Han narrowed his eyes slightly before looking over the control panel, "Not if I can help it. Chewie, jam it's transmissions."

Obi-Wan watched the male, "It'd be as well to let it go. It's too far out of range."

"Not for long."

Carina held a concerned expression as she drowned herself in her thoughts, there had to be a base near by, a fighter wouldn't get this far into space on it's own.