chapter fifty-eight

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

❝ but i don't know you, no matter
how much i thought i did. ❞

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

CARINA DOWNED HER GLASS of water before setting it back on the table before leaning back in her seat. The brunette sighed out softly, allowing herself to close her eyes whilst basking in the silence that constantly plagued her room when she wasn't being pestered.

The mother kept drifting her thoughts back to what Vader had revealed to her. A part of her still ached to trick herself into believing he had lied to her, but it was no use, she knew it was the truth.

Carina hated how the revelation had scrambled her mind, it shouldn't have— but it did. The Sith Lord hadn't returned since he walked out a week prior, and it was driving Algora insane, no matter how much she refused to accept it.

It bothered her how he could simply drop such news on her and walk out, not bothering to show his face to offer her some sort of explanation. Too many questions spun in her mind, why did he lie? Why did he allow her to believe he'd done it? Who did kill Padme then? It was a constant cycle and neither of them had an answer.

Algora blinked, her eyes spacing out with an empty look adorning her gaze. It was a reflection on how she felt— empty. Empty with the loss of those she held dear, empty when her emotions finally settled and left her, empty with being parted from her children, empty with the loss of her husband.

Carina constantly pondered about what she could have done to have deserved such a mind tearing fate. She'd been made to start fighting at the age of four and from then on, it never stopped. Her world was constantly moving, never giving her a moment to realize just how quickly time slipped away.

From youngling to padawan quickly went to Jedi Knight to Jedi Master... to then nothing. She was nothing but a mother willing to die for her twins.

Her children that were now all grown up, and she was reminded again of how the galaxy stops for no one at all. It felt like a few days ago she had just left Leia with Bail and Breha when her daughter was nine. Her children were all grown up, and she hadn't been there for any of it.

Twenty years of hiding and what did it bring her? Nothing but more pain. She'd decided to take the cowards way and shun herself out from the galaxy, basking in her sadness and allowing it to wear her down. She'd taken the cowards way.

Carina exhaled, remembering a time the brunette wished she could simply stop waking up in the mornings. Tired of the constant cycle that held no meaning anymore.

The mother pinched the bridge of her nose, forcing herself out of her thoughts that were resurfacing. She'd shoved them away for too long, and in doing so it was only causing more harm.