chapter thirty-nine

❝ don't act like a saint, darth

❝ don't act like a saint, darth. you're far
from it. ❞

CARINA HAD HER JAW TIGHTLY clenched as the trio treaded out the cantina, her long brown locks framed her face as she lifted the hood of her robe to hide her from other lurking eyes.

Obi-Wan could feel Carina's irritation as it practically radiated off of her. Luke would throw curious glances towards the woman, something about her felt familiar, so familiar that he felt as if he could trust her. It was an odd thought to have for someone you had supposedly just met.

Obi-Wan spared young Skywalker a look, "You'll have to sell your speeder."

Luke's expression faltered slightly as images of the corpses of the only family he ever knew plagued his mind once again. The boy swallowed thickly as anger coursed through him, "That's okay. I'm never coming back to this planet again."

Carina furrowed her brows as she turned her attention over to her only son that had a grim expression on. The mother tightly pursed her lips before peering over at Kenobi, only speaking with her eyes as she gave him a look.

Obi-Wan slightly shook his head in response and Carina narrowed her eyes, she was not fond of being kept in the dark. Carina's thoughts were cut short as 3-PO and R2 came into view.

The brunette's steps faltered as she took in the sight of the two droids, her chest tightening slightly as emotions swelled through her. She hadn't seen either of them in roughly twenty years.

They looked just as she remembered, making memories of the time when she served in the Republic flow through her mind. Almost every single one included Anakin, because R2 almost never left either of their sides.

Carina slipped her hands into her pocket as 3PO looked at her, "Is this our pilot?"

Luke looked at the droid before shaking his head, "No, this is the person R2 was supposedly looking for. She's coming along."

R2-D2 let out a beep and a small genuine smile spread across Carina's tainted lips, "It's a pleasure to meet the both of you."

3PO gave his version of a wave as R2 waddled in response.

Obi-Wan noticed Carina not taking her eyes off of the droids, he knew how much they meant to her, he also knew how much it had hurt to know that all memories they'd had together had been wiped.

The droids had no knowledge of who the woman before them was.

Carina raised her head slightly as she pushed away the nostalgia she was feeling, cautiously gazing around as she knew it would not be long until more troopers appeared.

"We better hurry."

Carina crossed her arms over her chest as the buyer placed the coins into Luke's grasp. The boy grabbed his robes before they continued down the crowded alleyway.