chapter eleven

❝ it's all my fault ❞

CARINA STEERED THE NABOO STARSHIP down onto the wide area of sand. Unbuckling her seatbelt as Anakin walked out of the pilots room before the two gave Padme a look.

Senator Amidala stood from her seat as the trio exited the space craft, "Look after the ship, R2." Carina kindly spoke to the droid who beeped a response. The group started down the trail towards the homestead as the wind breezed past them.

Carina slightly tilted her head as her eyes landed on a rather familiar droid standing outside the home. The robot looked up at the group of three, "Oh, hello. How might I be of service?"

Anakin's brows furrowed as he spoke, "3PO?" The droid looked visibly taken back at the sight of the young padawan, "Oh, my... Oh, my maker. Master Anakin! I knew you would return, I knew you would." The droid turned towards Padme and Carina, "Miss Carina and Padme, oh it is so good to see you all again."

Carina gave the droid a small smile, "Hello, C-3PO."

Anakin pursed his lips, "I've come to see my mother." The robot's movements faltered slightly, darting it's attention between the three before gesturing to the house, "I think... I think... Perhaps we'd better go indoors."

C-3PO lead them into the courtyard where a man and women stepped into sight as the droid spoke, "Master Cliegg, Master Lars. Might I present three important visitors?"

Anakin glanced between the couple, "I'm Anakin Skywalker." The man gave the boy a look before introducing himself, "Owen Lars. This is my girlfriend, Beru." The woman at his side kindly smiled, "Hello."

"I'm Padme."

Carina tilted her head down slightly, "Carina Algora."

Owen gazed at Anakin intently, "I guess I'm your stepbrother. I had a feeling you might show up some day."

"Is my mother here?"

"No, she's not."

Carina turned to see an elder man enter the room on a levitating chair, one of his legs heavily bandaged and the other missing, he extends a hand out towards the padawan, "Cliegg Lars. Shmi is my wife... Come on inside. We have a lot to talk about."

Carina had her face set in a stern expression as she listened intently to what Cliegg spoke, "It was just before dawn. They came out of nowhere. A hunting party of Tusken Raiders."

Beru set down a tray of cups at the center of the table as the man continued speaking, his full attention set on Anakin, "Your mother had gone out early, like she always did, to pick mushrooms that grow on the vaporators. From the tracks, she was about halfway home when they took her. Those Tuskens walk like men, but they're vicious, mindless monsters. Thirty of us went out after her. Four of us came back. I'd be with them, only... after I lost my leg I just couldn't ride any more... until I heal."