chapter fifty-five

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

❝ like you said, i never know
when to give up. ❞

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

CARINA STARED AT THE NEVER ending darkness enveloping her. An unwelcome shiver crawled up her spine and the mother was suddenly rooted into place— unable to move.

"Ina."

The brunette stilled, her breath hitching when her ears caught the voice of one of her dearest friends— a voice she hadn't heard in over twenty years.

Algora turned her head to meet the inviting eyes of Padme, a small smile gracing the Senators tainted lips. She took a small step towards the mother and Carina was suddenly released from her spot, stumbling slightly which pulled a small chuckle from Amidala.

Carina's lower lip trembled as emotions she'd shoved away for years began to bubble up within her. She struggled to contain the sobs that craved to escape her clamped lips, eyes glossed over with her brows pulled together.

"Padme." Her voice was hoarse, leashed emotions slipping through to allow the other to know just how badly she wanted to cry.

The woman tipped her head to the side slightly, "What is it with you and storing everything you feel up?"

Carina shook her head repeatedly, "I'm so so sorry." Tears escaped the mothers chestnut eyes and began attempting to keep them at bay, knowing once she started— she couldn't stop.

Padme hummed softly, her eyes gentle, "Why would you be? You have nothing to apologize for."

Carina licked her dried lips, chest heaving as she drew heavy breaths, "I should have gone with you to make sure— I could've saved you." Tears stained her flushed cheeks, her head lowering as she attempted to pull herself together.

Padme wore a sympathetic expression, "I chose to help those younglings, Carina. It was my choice. You have no fault in how I died." The Senator treaded closer towards the distressed mother, "You need to let go of this hatred and self-loathing you carry for yourself. Not everything is your fault, you are not responsible for every atrocity that has happened."

Carina wiped the fallen tears from her face, mumbling softly in disagreement, "You know I could've stopped this, Padme."

Amidala huffed out in response, "No, you were barely an adult, Carina. You were a trained peace keeper turned into soldier, what happened with Anakin was not your fault."