chapter five

❝ you're gonna have to do a lot betterthan that to even scratch me

than that to even scratch me. ❞

CARINA RESTED HER HEAD on the wall as she closed her eyes, the girl felt her clasped hands slowly begin to loosen up as she fell into a deep slumber.

"I have nothing left anymore."

The padawan's eyes snapped open as she quickly looked at her surroundings, she breathed heavily as the voice echoed in her mind. The voice, it sounded so similar, so mature, so hurt.

She shook her head to rid herself of such odd thoughts as a small noise caught her attention, she looked over to see Anakin sitting in the corner, shivering and looking rather dejected.

"Are you okay, Ani?"

The young boy pursed his lips, "It's very cold."

Carina stood from her place before taking ahold of a soft blanket as she made her way towards Anakin, she draped the fabric over him, "You're from a warm planet, space is very cold. It'll take some adjusting."

Young Skywalker gazed into Carina's hazel eyes, "I saw you jolt from your sleep. Did you have a nightmare?"

The girl thought for a short moment before speaking, "Just a small one, nothing for you to worry about."

Anakin hummed before reaching into his pocket to hold something before Carina, "I made this for you. A gift to say thank you for helping me out with my speeder. I know it's not much but I carved it out of a japor snippet... It will bring you good fortune."

Carina's gaze softened upon seeing the handmade necklace, a genuine smile made it's way to her lips as she took the item in her hands, carefully inspecting it, "I've— never been given a gift before." She looked up at the blonde boy, "Thank you, Ani. I will treasure it always."

Anakin mustered up a smile for her. Carina watched his expression before speaking, "If you ever need someone, we are training in the same academy. I'll be around."

Anakin's eyes brightened up upon hearing this, "Will we both be training with Qui-Gon?"

Carina's smile slightly faltered, "Qui-Gon can only take two padawans, and even that's stretching it."

"So, what happens then?"

"Either Obi-Wan takes the trials or I get moved to a new mentor." Carina softly spoke. Anakin frowned at hearing such news, "What?"

"Qui-Gon insists on training you. I myself told Qui-Gon if the Jedi council decided that Obi-Wan was not ready for the trials that I will take up a new master."

A saddened look made it's way onto young Skywalker's face, "That's not fair though."

"Life never is, Ani." Carina licked her lips before speaking, "We'll still see each other occasionally."