Chapter 3

Winter is wonderful this year. The snow-covered trees surrounding our hilltop manor suggested that we were in winter wonderland. I just can’t wait until Santa, real or not, would arrive and give us our presents. Most importantly, I just can’t wait to kiss someone under the mistletoe this year.

The past three years had been awesome, fortunately. I also began attending school and Gene has been great help. Although, I was basically the smartest in the class, it was still hard to fit in with everybody. And since Gene and I were in the same year, he was my company most of the time.

“What are you so bummed about?” Gene once asked me while we were waiting for Machete, their, I mean, our driver.

I was fidgeting with the flowers I stole from the school garden. Gene and I were sitting on a bench facing the street. “I don’t know. I don’t have a lot of friends. I can’t fit in well.”

“That is not something to be bummed about, Andie-girl!” It sounded right when he called me by that name. “If you can’t fit in, maybe you were meant to stand out.”

I met his gaze. The corners of his brown eyes crinkled as he smiled. I just don’t get him. Most of the time, he’s making fun of me, but sometimes, he shifts to his sweet and serious side. Sometimes I don’t believe what he’s saying anymore.

“There’s something about you, Andie,” Gene whispered, his voice low and serious. “Whatever you do, just seems right. I am so happy I met you. I am so happy you ran away. So happy I brought you home.”

Gene is right for one: running away is the best thing that’s ever happened to me. The white stone house is now just a mere bad memory that I won’t bother to relive again, although it was a good thing Machete finally arrived because I wasn’t able to say something back after what Gene had previously said. I didn’t even sit beside him in the van. Honestly, I am happy living with him but I’m still not sure about what I really feel about him. He’s like a brother to me, for now.

Finally, we got home after the last day of school for the year. When we arrived, Lenner and Jessica and Mary and the rest went stampeding towards the kitchen, where Mama Collins is making her daily afternoon winter cookies. Her cookies were delicious, although I doubt it if there would even be any left for me.

The sweet aroma of dough and cinnamon filled the house, and I just can’t stop myself from following the scent into the kitchen. Mama Collins was humming as she baked. The kids were waiting expectantly at the nearby kitchen counter for the next batch of cookies. The next thing I knew, I was already sitting on my own part of the counter, plate and glass of milk ready.

“You kids still hungry?” Mama Collins asked with that thoughtful tone in her voice. It seemed like more of a taunt though since she was now carrying the tray, full of smoking, sweet-smelling, star-shaped cookies. My mouth watered like crazy.

Just before I was about to take a bite from my, I think, fifth cookie, I caught a glimpse of Gene walking past the kitchen window, towards the back. He looked pretty sullen and down. I think it must be because of my behaviour earlier, so surprisingly, I put down my cookie and decided to confront him and somehow make him feel better.

I found him in the backyard, looking distantly at the snow-covered trees in front of him. I mindlessly sat beside him, but he scooted away.

“Get close,” I said. “It’s cold.”

“Why do you always seem reserved, unsure, whatever?” he suddenly asked. An icy fog was swirling out of his mouth as he talked. “No, don’t bother. Nevermind what I just said.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I admitted. I was really caught off-guard by the question. “Maybe it’s just what I am.”

“No,” he murmured. “There’s something. It’s like something’s holding you back. Sometimes I feel like you’re repressing your own emotions.”