Chapter 14- Yuqi's Promise

Yuqi hurried into the apartment she shared with Miyeon, leaving her slippers upside down and tracking dirt into the steps

"Yuqi? What's the hurry?", Miyeon stepped out from the small dining room.

"Soyeon called. Remember her? She's in college now but her girls still operate if called. She's doing this one without pay but she probably has her reasons. Miyeon, I think I'll have to leave for a day or two.."

Miyeon stayed quiet, a light shadow coloured her face for a second but she kept it down to not show Yuqi.

"Miyeon.. I'm really sorry.. I know what day it'll be tomorrow.. I'll be sure to celebrate the minute I get back. I'll know exactly what gift to bring.. please don't worry about anything Miyeon.. "

" You don't have to apologise, Yuqi. Its fine. I'm just glad you didn't forget. You're much better than Minho in that aspect. "

" God Don't take his name when I'm around. I'll kick him to the curb someday.. "

" But Yuqi. Do.. do you have to.. do all this gang stuff? I don't want to see you get hurt. I know its not forever.. but my heart can't fully approve of this. "

Yuqi felt a little irritated. There she was again. She knew Yuqi's circumstances.

" Its just till I find an actual job babe. You know my college isn't free. I've got to keep my head above water. The morning shift at the cafe doesn't cut it Miyeon. Besides I'm strong enough. You don't have to worry. "

Yuqi went into her room to pack. She shut the door with a good amount of intensity. Miyeon felt like she'd pushed a wrong button.

Yuqi stifled a sob behind her door.

Miyeon stayed at the dining table. A wave of melancholy was coming at her no matter how much she tried to repress it.

The truth is, tomorrow was their 1st anniversary as a couple. She couldn't imagine spending the day without her.

Most people probably didn't care about Miyeon's emotions, but Miyeon felt things at a deeper level than most people. They all hated it, or ignored it, or made fun of it.

That's why , despite the huge circle of friends she had, Miyeon never felt included.

But Yuqi was different.
They'd grown up together their whole lives. Miyeon's parents were well off, more than most in their town, and Yuqi's parents weren't. They were too busy with work to look after Yuqi, so they left Yuqi at Miyeon's place to play.

Miyeon's parents used to love her, Yuqi may not have been book smart, but she picked up on things quickly. Miyeon giggled a bit thinking of how Yuqi had learned how to walk before Miyeon and used to kick her around whenever she tried to stand too.

Then she remembered the confession.

It was a few days after Minho had left.

....

Yuqi and Miyeon lay on Miyeon's bed, it rained outside Miyeon's pink little window. Miyeon eyed the raindrops, Yuqi eyed Miyeon.

"Yuqi.. I-I can't believe he just left. I still can't believe it."

"It's not your fault. He's a jerk. He didn't even bother telling you where his college is so there's no point in crying over him."

"I know.. but it hurts. It hurts so much.. but there's something else on my mind. "

Yuqi reached out to the girl's hair and curled it round her finger.

" Go on. I'm here. Say whatever you wanna. "

" Yuqi.. I don't wanna sound stupid or disloyal. But I know I will, I definitely will. I'll sound like a total bitch. I've been trying to hold it in for too long now.. "

" Just fucking say it already. Its fine. You know I don't care enough to judge", this made Miyeon laugh a little, and eased her into words.

" I feel like I never loved Minho. "

The rain outside got heavier.

" Or any.. man.. for that fact. "

The rain beat on the pink roof.

" Yuqi.. I don't know what to do.. am I not worthy of love? "

She looked up at the latter, with eyes as full and clear as the surface of a lake.

Yuqi remembered a similar feeling. She remembered Jisung telling her he's gay. She remembered how she'd made him comfortable with it, because she was too. She'd never told anyone but him. Her heart ached for him, but now it faced another girl- earnest and hopeful. Was this a similar case?

"Miyeon.. do you mean?"

"Yuqi - my parents will hate me."

Yuqi knew now. For sure. She placed her hand in Miyeon's, hoping to transfer some courage.

"Do you hate me now? Yuqi? You didn't say anything. You can leave if you want to. Like Minho did."

Minho? Wtf? Yuqi hated hearing about him. She was angry.

"I'm not leaving."

"What?"

Yuqi raised her voice, "I said I'm not leaving."

Miyeon stayed quiet. She turned her face around.

A single tear rolled down her cheek.

Yuqi sat up. Lightning hit outside.

"Miyeon! Look at me! I'm NOT going anywhere! You're nowhere near as unlovable as you think you are! Don't tell your parents for all I care. They're not entitled to your privacy! Why are you crying? It doesn't matter to me what you are! Fuck it! You're not at all unworthy of love, because -"

Miyeon spoke, interrupting , in a shaken voice," You don't have to console me Yuqi. You don't have to help me.. "

" BECAUSE I LOVE YOU. "

The whole world shook with the white lightning outside. Miyeon's eyes opened wide, she couldn't turn around to look at Yuqi. She must be imagining it. Her fearful heart fluttered.

"Miyeon. Ever since we were children, I've loved you. My heart's been burning for you for eighteen years now. I've never spoken a word, lest the fire burn down everything we've built together. "

Yuqi's eyes were lit with passion. She looked at Miyeon, her hair sprawled across the bedsheets, her eyes red and puffy from days of tears, her skin and lips uncared for after weeks of depression.

Any boy their age would hate her. But she wouldn't.

Yuqi pulled her in and hugged her. Miyeon sobbed into her shoulder. Then they were suddenly facing each other in each other's arms.

Yuqi kept herself in check.. but those lips.. fuck it.
"Miyeon.. may I?"

"A hundred times over.", Miyeon's lips parted , and they were never left alone again.

They kissed each other throughout the night. Never daring to go further. It wasn't the right time. Yuqi was prepared to wait forever, as long as Miyeon was by her side.

...

Miyeon got up. She knew what to do.
Yuqi would never leave her alone, and neither would she.

She rushed to Yuqi's room and opened the door. Yuqi sat in a pile of her own clothes, with teary eyes.

"Miyeon... I didn't mean to shout at you.. I really didn't."

"Don't cry Yuqi.", Miyeon reached out for the latter's hand, "Don't worry about me."

"I'll... I'll not go if you-"

Miyeon hushed her with a finger on her lips.

"I'm not letting you go alone. I'm going with you."