Koopaling Roll Call!

"Oh, it's a spectacular day out here, isn't it?" Toad asks Toadsworth as they walk through the castle gardens. "Wish Peach could see her flowers in bloom."

"Yes, well, unfortunately that would mean bringing along her husband, who would no doubt try to burn them." Toadsworth says sadly.

"I've already made my feelings on that very clear." Toad says. "Last thing I need is Bowser ruining one more thing for the princess. Just the thought of that monster anywhere near her—"

"Ahem!" Toadsworth scolds. "Please, let's just help keep the grounds in tiptop shape, so they'll be right here waiting for her when she finally returns home safely."

"It still hurts." Luigi says to their mom over the phone. "I finally remembered everything, and how much Mario means to me, and now we have to deal with this ."

" You miss him. " She doesn't need to ask to know that.

"On top of the fact that I know Bowser's torturing them." Luigi says. "Parading Peach everywhere to show her off, letting Wario spend the kingdom's money, forcing Mario to tend to all of his minions' every need so he can try and be alone with her, keeps talking about who's going to be their heir to the throne."

"Oh mio ragazzo." Ma says in sympathy. " You and Mario will find a way out of this. Together. If there's anything any of us here can do to help-- "

"I will tell you. I promise." Luigi says. "But I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. I know there has to be a way we can make this all go away."

Mario throws the newspaper on the ground in disgust, right as he sees Bowser walk in.

"You'd better have a good reason for telling me the wrong time to be here."

"Shut up." Bowser growls. "Where's my wife?"

" Princess Peach." Mario corrects. "Is attempting to make a cake in your dirty kitchen."

"Ooh, fancy." Bowser chuckles.

Mario glares, "You do know the only reason she's playing nice is because you're threatening her kingdom, right?"

Bowser says nothing, so Mario gets up in his face.

"Peach will do anything for her Toads and her friends, and I should be out there fighting this, but I'm not, because you threatened to drag my brother into it. No wonder you always lose. First time you win, no one wants to play anymore. But you don't care about Peach at all, do you? You've put her through all kinds of hell in the entire time I've known you—"

"And she needs to learn the definition of romantic gestures." Bowser crosses his arms. "She has people counting on her just like I do. I would kiss the feet of anyone who would've done for me what I'm willing to do for my kids."

Mario steps back at that, "Excuse me? Where did that come from?"

"Nothing." Bowser says immediately. "I'm just saying, maybe I would've been a different Koopa if I had more than just Kamek growing up."

"Tell me more about your kids." Mario pushes.

"You don't have them, you don't get it." Bowser growls.

"Try me."

"No." Bowser puts his foot down. "I've heard talk about my wife's venture into the human world. Your parents think you're heroes ." He guffaws. "Oh if only they could see you now. I'd kill to see the look on their faces."