Chapter 39

"...So he's gonna live with someone?"

"Yeah, his friend. I haven't had the chance to meet the guy yet. But I keep telling Dash that he should just get a dorm room in their school or, better, stay in the house. It's more convenient."

I glanced down at the chessboard, contemplating my next move. "But their place is still pretty close to the school, right? Dash mentioned he could walk from their apartment?" With a sly smile, I moved one of my chess pieces, capturing one of Cate's, "You're losing."

"And you say you haven't played this?" She asked as she took her turn, "Liar."

I let out a demonic laugh, hinting at my competitive spirit, "I meant for a while."

On our second day, Cate and I found ourselves strolling in the morning as we, again, watched the sunrise. There are not many people around while walking around, so occasionally, our feet touch the ocean too. There was even a moment when I was just teasing Cate; she almost swam accidentally as my playful push went a little bit strong. As a result, she tried to catch me while cursing me to death and shouting she would drag me to the ocean.

Right now, we're on a terrace, our favorite spot, casually playing some chess that I found in the living room. Cate and I are having a conversation about her children, where she was a little worried about Dashiell's moving out as he is about to start his studies this month.

Well, not just him; each of them will take another step in school this year. Dash is about to start college, Roman also just got moved up from junior high school, then Iggs graduated elementary, and miss little Patricia is going to have her first day next week as kinder. It's a big thing, especially to Cate. She once told me a little while ago how happy and proud she is of them, yet also admitted how sad the truth is that one by one, they will leave the house soon like their oldest brother.

"I tried to make a deal out of it," She shares with a chuckle while her fingers toying with a pawn as she focused on the game, "Yet, of course, he refuses... I think he's been looking forward to getting out of that house."

I looked at her, "Hey, I don't think he is... Common, If he were that excited, he could've left home a month ago."

"The only thing that makes him stay is because I was teaching him to drive."

"Because he wanna spend some time with you, Idiot." I said as I took my turn, "I just know that he's delaying himself to leave. I'm sure he'll miss you no matter what."

"You think? He keeps saying driving is so easy as if he's just riding it in an arcade," She says, and I suddenly felt Cate toss me a pawn, "And don't idiot me, Idiot."

I made a mock face and replied, "Didn't both of you settle about him going home at least once a week?"

"Every two weeks," She said. "I don't want to bore Dashiell and wait for him to start complaining. But, I told him he would at least go home when we're home." A smile curved on Cate's lips as she saw an opportunity to eat my pawn, "Oooh, another one!"

"Then, it should be good," I replied. "Don't worry about your baby too much. He's now a man...At least," we chuckled, "As long as he could wash the dishes, he will be alright."

"That's the thing. I'm worried he would piss his friend out!" She replied, watching me make a turn, "He always leaves his shirts scattered in his bed or-or wherever he wants... Really, he and his father are so alike." Cate shakes her head, "Don't even ask me about his messy drawer."