Chapter 35

Crystal's POV

Byron: Will you need me for the night miss?

I look up from my book. I was back at the penthouse. Chilling on the couch wearing one of Caspar's hoodies. Cliché, I know. I don't think I've ever done that before not even with George with whom we've been in an actual relationship. But I felt the need to feel him close to me. I didn't have the time to text him or call him, not that I would. He probably wouldn't appreciate it.

So now I was trying to force time to pass by faster. Nikkie left two hours ago fully hyped about her date with Ethan, she was acting as if she hasn't seen him in years and I was loving that for her.

Crystal: No Byron, it's okay, I won't stay long either you can go.

Byron: Very well, miss.

But he didn't leave he kept looking at me with a stoic expression.

Crystal: Is something wrong?

Byron: I am afraid you are the one who can answer that Ms. Stone. Forgive me for taking the authority and ask, is everything okay? You seem quite troubled the past few days.

He noticed? And Caspar hasn't? I mean I shouldn't expect neither to notice but still...

Crystal: I am fine Byron, it's just... with Caspar I don't know if I can keep our relationship in tact.

Byron: So it's trouble of the heart.

A faint smile appears on his lips and for a moment I think I imagined it. I'm definitely not used to our butler smiling - our?!- God I have to stop!

Crystal: I guess. Please don't tell Caspar.

Byron: It's not my place to say anything miss but remember that the heart does what the heart wants eventually you'll have to submit to the feeling or decide to kill it. There is no other way out, I am afraid.

I stare blankly at my book and bite my lip. Should I talk to Caspar and risk losing what we have? Or should I play along in hopes he'll change - Goddamn! I'm sounding like a schoolgirl. Of course I know the answer! Of course I know what's the nature and sensible thing to do! The question is why am I not doing it?!

Crystal: What if I can't choose?

Byron: Then life will choose for you. But don't expect it to be kind, don't expect it to be on your side. You can be the captain Ms.Stone or you can let the wind take you whenever it pleases.

I smile at this old man's metaphor. A man who, for one reason or another decided to devote his life to Caspar D'Angelo, a bachelor with a secret life and an unhealed past.

Crystal: I didn't know you were such a poet.

He gives me a kind smile and a soft nod of his head.

Byron: I am not miss. I am just an old man inspired by life, by mistakes I myself have made. You are a good woman and I've never seen my master this calm, this invested in someone, you brought that out of him and for that I hope you'll stick around.

I stop smiling only because I feel like crying from an overwhelming wave of emotions at the sincerity of his words. He knows Caspar since he was a child and for Byron to think of me that highly- I don't even know why it matters to me so much that he does!

Crystal: I hope I'll stick around too.

I whisper my answer but the smile that doesn't fade from his face tells me he heard me.

Byron: If you need anything, you know where to find me. Good night miss.

Crystal: Thank you. Good night Byron.