9. The Boy With The Smile

Start from the beginning

     My body stayed still as my eyes flitted around the room. Finally, they caught on something that most definitely was not mine.

     I don't remember ever owning boxers.

     I've never sat up so fast.

     I've also never regretted a decision that fast.

     An involuntary groan slipped past my lips as pain shot through my entire body. My chest was tight and almost felt bruised. I don't know how else to describe it. My back and shoulders were still sore, and my headache immediately came back in full effect. I moved to lay back down as my head swam.

"Are you stupid?"

A hand was placed on my back as it gently guided me into a sitting position, resting my back against the headboard.

Wait.

A hand?

People have hands.

A hand I do not know connected to a person I do not know inside a room I do not know?

I opened my mouth to scream and immediately choked.

Almost instantly the hand was back on my back, softly patting as I coughed. Another hand quickly reached out and grabbed the pink petals as they landed on the faded blue blanket over me, wrapping them in a tissue and putting them somewhere out of my sight.

     "Are you stupid?" The person repeated, and my eye snapped up to meet their's.

     The first thing I noticed was the look he was giving me. His eyebrows were raised and his eyes were filled with judgment, narrowed slightly as they looked at me. The corners of his mouth were turned down, his lips slightly parted. Truthfully, I couldn't decide if I should feel bad or be offended.

     "Who are you?" My voice came out raw and I winced.

He crossed his arms over his chest. "Oh I don't know, just the person who saved your life."

I raised my eyebrows.

Well dang if he was going to be this sarcastic he should've let me collapse in peace.

I didn't realize I mumbled until the mystery boy repeatedly shook his head. "Nope. Absolutely not. There will be none of that after I used my precious time getting you to breathe."

My eyes widened at his words. Getting me to breathe? What was he talking about? I really don't remember much outside of feeling pukey on the bus and then watching my vision fade to black like the ending of a devastating tv episode. I did hear bits and pieces of people talking, but in my drugged feeling mind I couldn't make sense of it.

The boy must have noticed my expression as he sighed before taking a deep breath, almost like he was readying himself to speak.

"Oh, yea. You stopped breathing a couple of times last night. I had to do cpr at least twice."

"You WHAT."

"I had to do cpr—"

I waved my hands around in the air. "No no, I heard that part."