chapter five

everyone sign in:

Storm sits on the couch in the living room between Bella and Rosalie with Alice on Bella's side, while Edward and Alexander stand across from them

"Who was it? Someone, we know?" Carlisle asks his sons.

Edward shakes his head. "Just a stranger."

"We didn't recognize his scent," Alexander adds.

Esme furrows her brows with worry. "A nomad passing through?" Rosalie shakes her head.

"A passer-by wouldn't have left Storm and Bella's father alive." She says, sending chills down Bella's spine.

Storm frowns at the comment and wraps her arm around her sister while Rosalie rubs Storm's leg to comfort her.

"His scent disappeared about five miles south from the girls' house." Jasper enters the living room along with Emmett who walks over to gently rub Storm's arm before sitting down next to his wife.

"Someone's orchestrating this," Edward says, Storm glance at her fiance and gives him a look letting him know that she had a hunch on who it was.

"Victoria?" Bella guesses, Alice, shakes her head.

"No, I would've seen her deciding."

"It has to be the Volturi," Alexander speaks.

"I don't think it's the Volturi either, I've been watching Aro's decisions too," Alice tells her brother.

Storm frustratedly sighs, "Let's not be a little dense and just narrow it down to three guesses on who it can be." The Cullens look at the hybrid waiting for her to continue. "Seeing as it could be Victoria whether or not Alice or I have seen her in our visions, she is still plotting something to kill me and Bella. The Volturi has unfinished business with us for some reason. And my batshit crazy aunts are hunting me down for their stupid rivalry against my biological parents."

"She does have a point." Edward backs up his mate and turns to Alice. "Victoria is teaming up with Storm's aunts and we're just now finding out that they've been plotting for years to get to Storm, and not once have her parents been able to find them. Couldn't that be the reason for not seeing her in your visions?" Alice slowly nods her head as she takes in his words.

"Maybe."

Carlisle sighs, "Until we can fully know who it is, we'll need to take shifts and guard the girls' house."

Rosalie scoffs lightly and glares over at Bella, "Another protection detail?" Storm squeezes her arm.

"Rosalie." Esme gives her a warning tone.

"No, she's right. You guys can't protect us, watch our dad...and search for the intruder." Bella starts.

"And for Victoria and Storm's aunts," Rosalie adds.