03

Trinity Carter

I was in my room eating some cheese cracker things my mom bought me. I was flipping through the channels when Kamahi barged in. I looked over at her and she laughed.

"You look horrendous." She laughed. I rolled my eyes. I looked down at my attire. My home clothes weren't that bad. I just didn't match, at all.

"Shush, you want some?" I asked her she nodded and grabbed some out of the box. She threw herself on the bed and flatly laid, watching the Cosby's with me.

"Why do you always watch these old ass shows?" She asked. I shrugged.

"I don't know, I guess it's because back then black people were inspirational. Now they just are the sidekick or the follower or even worse they no longer relate to us. They just don't make me feel the same." I said. She shook her head in agreement.

"So what'd you think about, Josiah?" She asked grabbing the remote and putting the Cosby's on mute. I looked at her like she lost her mind which she did.

"Easy, I don't think about him at all." I said bitterly as I reached for my remote. She snatched it away with a frown.

"Why?" She asked. I rolled my eyes.

"Because he's an asshole." I said. She gave me a very confused face.

"But I saw you two hit it off, you guys were playing games with each other." She said in her usual confused tone. I just tried to reach for my remote again but once again it was another fail.

"Okay, playing games isn't hitting it off, and he was just being nice to me because Vince told him to." I said. She looked at me weird.

"What do you mean?" she asked sitting up. I breathed in some air.

"Look when I left the bathroom I heard them speaking about me. And I overheard Vincent telling him to be nice to and say something nice about me. Then I heard him say 'She's pretty for a dark skin.' I acted like I didn't hear it but that's the reason I didn't want to be at that table any more." I explained. She had her narrow eyes bulged out of her head.

"Pretty for a dark skin? What the hell is that supposed to mean?" She asked. I looked at her and sighed.

"It means exactly what's said. I'm pretty for a dark skin which practically means if I were to be another skin tone I'd be more attractive." I said. She made a loud growl and picked her phone up. She began to type extremely fast.

"What are you doing?" I asked. She looked over at me with pure anger in her eyes.

"I'm snapping on him via text message I can't believe he said that about you. And Vincent just let him." She spoke. As she spoke her mind. I just rolled my eyes.

"KK, forget about it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And Vincent isn't obligated to stick up for me." I said. She sighed. I took her phone and deleted all of the words she typed in all caps. I took the remote and turned the show's volume back on. We sat in silence and laughed at certain moments.

"It's because you're a little shy, and I put all that make up on you." She said. I looked over at her.

"Okay..." I said because it was a little awkward.

"No that's why, he said those negative things."

"Kamahi, I could care less what he said. He's not my type either." I said.