•Before The Maze• [3]

As I'm writing this chapter, I still haven't even finished with chapter two meaning that I'm working on two chapters at once. The first three or so paragraphs of this one were going to be in chapter two but I decided to just put them in this one instead. As always, enjoy!

Started 6/28/23

ALSO I will most likely be changing the symbol for time skip to ≺❁⭒❁⭒❁⭒❁⭒❁≻ and if there's no date after the skip that means it's the same day just like a few hours later maybe

________________________________________________________________________________

January 11th 2043, 5 years old

DEEDEE FURROWED HER brows, "I'm Deedee." She barely got to finish before a small shock was sent through her wrists  from the wires. It didn't hurt, it just caught her by surprise, causing her to try and yank her hand back from whatever caused the sensation. Her reflex was constricted due to the white straps holding her arms down.

"No, you are Teresa Agnes. You will respond to that name, and you two are to use only that. Deedee doesn't exist anymore." Dr. Paige pointed at Stephen and Y/N then took a step towards Deedee, "You are Teresa Agnes." She put an extra emphasis on each word as if they were more important than the ones before.

Y/N scrunched her nose with confusion, "No that's Deedee. Why do you--" A spark was sent through her body that felt like she was being electrocuted, but it left just as quickly as it came. Her reaction was the same as Deedee's, instinctually pulling away from the unpleasant feeling but her body didn't move much.

Another click of a button and Stephen's picture was on the screen. Y/N was confused about where these pictures were coming from, but she had almost forgotten that as part of the check-in process they had to have photos taken of them. Dr. Paige handed the controller thingy to Mr. Janson, then she took a step in Stephen's direction.

Stephen's eyes fearfully flicked between the picture of him and the woman approaching. He knew that something happened to Deedee and Y/N as some type of punishment for questioning the new name, so when the time came he knew he had to play along.

"He is Thomas." The blonde woman's body faced the board then she slowly turned to Stephen. "You are Thomas." Stephen nodded.

Another click and the first shockwave was sent all over his body. Just a small zap, but enough to catch him off guard. Stephen didn't understand why though. He did exactly what they wanted by accepting his new name, so why was he still punished?

Dr. Paige spun towards an unsuspecting Deedee, "Who are you?"

"I'm Dee--" Once again, a spark got sent through her body. But it almost felt like it was longer than the first time. "Teresa! I'm Teresa Agn--" The spark intensified for a second before disappearing, leaving a tingling feeling in its place.

"Thomas," Dr. Paige faced a horrified Stephen watching the girl he barely knew suffer. He didn't catch on right away and hesitated before attempting to answer to his new name. "Y-yes?"

Mr. Janson, who was holding the controls, stepped into view and pressed the button. Stephen got a quick shock that held more intensity than the last.

"Why are you doing this to us?" Y/N yelled, thrashing around under the restraints. The man faced her with the controls in hand, zapping her as well.

Dr. Paige's attention was moved to a buzzing Y/N. "You, my dear Y/N, must learn the rules quickly. Your mother would've expected that from you."

Y/N's face contorted to the best-confused expression that she could manage. "How do you know my mom?" She wasn't even sure if that was what the woman implied, but she wanted to make sure. She knew that there was a familiarity when speaking to the older blonde, yet she couldn't place a finger on it.