•Before The Maze• [2]

FINALS WEEK 🥳 (i want to die)

Started on 6/12/23

ALSO for the descriptions of people I'm going off of how they look in the movies and not the books since more people are more likely to have seen the movies rather than read the books

________________________________________________________________________________

January 10th 2043, 5 years old

THE TRAIN SLOWED down and came to a silent halt. The brakes turning on jerked the kids around and Y/N was woken up by her body being lurched forward. Luckily Stephen was still asleep so he didn't have to go through the same rough wake up as she did, and she let him sleep until the was train completely stopped.

To wake him Y/N did as her mother had always done. She shook his shoulder gently and tapped his hand, occasionally calling his name to bring him back into consciousness. The boy woke up and looked around, forgetting his surroundings until he looked at Y/N.

"Stephen, we stopped."

"I know."

The two shared a glance around the train car unsure of what was going to happen next. Where were they going? Where are they? What about their parents? Who are these people? A monotone voice came over the speakers on the train saying: 'Sector Seven Line One, reached.'

The guards began to shuffle around and the lady in white helped get a few kids off the seats.

----TIME SKIP----

Kids filed into two lines, boys and girls. Unfortunately Y/N and Stephen had to split up, separating them from the only sense of comfort and security they had in this place. Evidently, neither of them were happy about this but they knew they didn't have a choice.

While in line Y/N looked around at the girls around her; some of them talking quietly and making new friends, some keeping to themselves. Y/N fell into the latter group, she was never really outgoing in sanctioned-school. Her mom told her it was better to trust less people since it decreases your chances of being betrayed. And nobody wants to be betrayed. Y/N learned that quickly after she trusted the wrong girl with her favorite toy, and when the girl gave it back a day later it was broken.

A girl with bleach blonde hair approached Y/N with a bright smile and an extended hand. "Hi, I'm Elizabeth."

Y/N looked at the girl and offered a small smile of her own, "I'm Y/N."

"Nice to meet you Y/N! You can call me Lizzy, if you want. That's what my brother calls me." She then pointed to a smaller boy who was also blonde in the line opposite from them. Unlike his sister who outgoing and cheerful, he seemed to be more quiet and reserved, much like Y/N.

Y/N took note of their similarities, then shook Lizzy's hand. "Nice to meet you too, Lizzy."

The girls spent the rest of their time, while waiting in line together, talking about their families and other things. She found out that Lizzy and her brother didn't go to sanctioned-school like she did, Lizzy said her parents weren't able to bring them. One thing that stood out to Y/N was when Lizzy said that the yellow people took her parents into a different room, and they didn't want to take her brother. "They only wanted me but I refused to go unless he could come with me."

"What about your parents?" Y/N quizzed.

Lizzy's cheerful demeanor dropped slightly, "Uhm, well they looked like they were sleeping when we left..." she trailed off like she got lost in her own mind.

Y/N knew exactly what that meant, but she wasn't sure if she should tell her new friend that her parents weren't exactly sleeping.

The time came for them to be checked in and sorted. The girls were put into a room with chairs and more guards, and they were told to wait for their names to be called. Y/N fiddled with her fingers, a habit she picked up from Stephen, and could only wonder what her brown-haired friend was doing. She assumed that all the boys were probably doing the same thing as they were, though. Each time the man with the clipboard came in, five girls were called and each left the room in a cluster.