Chapter Twenty-Six: Distractions

I sat on a bench near the doorway leading into the gym with the gift box placed in front of me. I was left alone with no idea what to do or where to go. All I could do was stare in front of me and think of my current situation. Obviously it wasn't easy and I needed to be pointed in the right direction, quick. As if on cue, Cody came back out and walked up to me.

 "What're you still doing out here? Is the party too boring for you? If so, there's an after-party we could go to if you're up for it. There won't be any of this boring soda and we can get wasted!" Cody put a reassuring arm around my shoulder and punched his fist into the air. When he saw that I didn't react, that's when he became serious.

"What's the matter? You're not thinking about Theo and Eric running off, are you?" His tone of voice indicated that he was half joking. I turned to him and shrugged. "I mean Theo and I split, but it was supposed to be after the ball." Cody took a sip of his soda and tapped his fingers on the table. "Doesn't matter, really. He's gone now and that was the goal."

I stood up from the bench and headed in the direction that Eric and Theo ran in. "Blake? Hey man, where are you going?" Cody asked. "Going to find Theo," I replied without an explanation. "What for? Sure, we might've slipped up and they overheard us, but now you guys are split up. You also gotta admit, it was kind of better than our original plan, their reactions were priceless!" Cody chuckled. When I didn't laugh back and held a serious expression, he stopped and cleared his throat.

"Anyways, he's not worth it. Give him some time or something. I doubt he'll come back though, plus you got a free necklace. That brand ain't cheap either." Cody stared at me as I didn't move, nor did I respond. I felt dizzy with worry and was unsure of what to do. "There's an after-party for the ball if you wanna go. I heard it was at Sean Mason's house and you know how much good shit he has at his parties."

That's right, I remembered. Sean Mason was known at our school for being one of the best players on our basketball team and more notably for his ragers. He always had tons of alcohol and drugs that kept all the popular kids at school coming back for more. Everyone at his parties never failed to have a hangover the next day.

I could go and get wasted to forget about all of this, I really needed it right now. I agreed to go with Cody and I found myself on Sean's front porch twenty minutes later, watching people throw up on his front lawn and the buzz of students inside. The front door unlocked and Sean was the one behind it. "Hey! Cody, Blake, I'm glad you guys made it. Come in!"

Sean led us to a long table with every inch of it filled up by multiple kegs. "Help yourselves to as much as you want and have a good time, alright? I'll see you around." He left and immediately started cheering for a cup pong contest behind us. I grabbed a Solo cup and filled my cup with beer. Cody did the same and went over to a group of his friends. I took a long drink of my beer and looked around the house. I wasn't kidding when I said all the popular kids came to his parties.

I finished my first cup of beer pretty fast and put myself on autopilot to keep the alcohol coming. By my sixth drink, I was already plastered and I went around laughing with other drunk people about random topics and played a few rounds of beer pong myself. When I found a vacant spot on a couch, I threw off my tuxedo and allowed myself to sit down. I sighed, taking another sip of my beer. Giggling caught my attention and I saw a group of girls and guys sitting next to each other and talking.

Most of them were sitting with their boyfriend or girlfriend, but I noticed a few singles among the couples. Just what I needed to see after Theo and I broke up. They were talking about some relationship issues that someone they knew was going through and I happened to eavesdrop. I recognized most of the people in the group since some of them were my classmates, but one girl was just what I needed. She looked like an easy catch, and she had a great body. I was surprised how I'd never noticed her before.