Chapter Thirty Two

Gravity

Chapter Thirty Two

___________________________________

Eli never expected herself to miss phasing as much as she did. She missed not always being cold, the super speed healing, and running without getting tired. And sure, she could probably name more things off that she didn't like about phasing, but during that exact moment, she couldn't think of any.

She stood in the middle of her bedroom, desperately trying to phase into the wolf body she has became so use to.

Panic filled her veins at the mere thought of no longer being able to phase. And she tried to reason with herself— maybe her body used up all her energy to heal the head injury thus being too exhausted to phase– But then there was the voice in the back of her head telling her that it was taken away because she didn't deserve it. She didn't deserve being a protector since all she has ever done was bring more stress onto the pack than they needed. She didn't deserve it because she didn't listen to Dakotas warnings.

She fell down to her knees and her fist hit the ground harshly in frustration. She didn't want to tell the pack— especially not with the stress of the local vampires and traitor pack they had to deal with. Everyone already had too much to worry about than her... again.

She couldn't seem to reach out to Dakota anymore– because apparently ghosts don't appear when you actually need them to. No amount of dreaming or screaming or crying would summon him to her aid. Not even asking nicely would do the trick. He seemed to have completely abandoned her for reasons unbeknownst to her and she was desperate to know why.

She groaned out in frustration for the hundredth time. What else could she do to trigger the phase? She wasn't necessarily mad at anyone. Not even Jacob. Maybe she should start an argument with him again? Maybe then he'd knock the phase back into her like he did out. No, that would only cause more issues if she went picking fights with an alpha again. She might as well be marking her grave... again.

The sound of her door creaking open caught her attention from the screaming inside her head. She glanced up, seeing her brother standing there with a confused expression on his face.

"What're you doing?"

"Uh... praying." She pushed herself up from the ground quickly. "What're you doing?"

"Just checking in," He shrugged, making his way into her bedroom. He plopped down onto her bed and made himself comfortable. "It's almost Christmas."

"Don't remind me," She sighed heavily, taking the spot beside him. "I'll just stick to worrying about Halloween and Genocide Remembrance Day first."

"I can't say you're wrong." He gave a nod of agreement. "With everything calming down, I hope we actually get a time to relax before something big happens. There's always something."

"Don't jinks anything," Eli shushed him. She almost found herself wanting to tell him but knew better. She didn't want to ruin his seemingly good mood. "Speaking of though— What do you want for Christmas?" She asked.

He thought for a moment. "Sleep." Was his immediate response.

And that's all he really did want. He already had everything he needed and within due time he would hopefully have what he wanted. Eli studied him for a moment. He looked absolutely exhausted. Heavy bags lined his eyes and she could clearly see him fighting the want to close them. She really felt guilty for making them take on her hours— all because she couldn't keep her mouth shut.