Chapter Eighty-Six

"125 years ago, this would have sounded like magic. Ageless sleep. Two suns." Faye said, pacing the bridge. 

"We have to wake the others." Bellamy said. 

They woke only a few. Shaw, Clarke, Emori, Raven, Murphy, Echo, Rich, and Abby. They replayed the message for them and let them see the new planet. 

"I know this is a lot to process. Take an hour and meet in the mess. We need to game this out." Bellamy said. 

"Guys, we survived. Monty made sure of it." 

"Now we get our humanity back." Abby said.

"Some of us never lost it." Raven said spitefully as she turned to leave. Shaw went after her.

"There you guys are, checking on Madi?" Jordan asked as Faye and Clarke walked into the mess hall.

"Yeah."

"My dad preserved this for when we woke up. I'm told it doesn't taste very good, but since it's all I've ever eaten--" He handed them both a bowl. 

"Thanks." Clarke said. 

Faye went to the table and sat next to Bellamy.

"Hey, you seen Raven or Shaw?" Bellamy asked Clarke the same question he asked Faye when she sat down.

"You know, the people you handed over to our enemy to be tortured." Emori said. 

"Now, for Clarke, we call that a Tuesday." Murphy said. Faye kicked him in the shin, quickly shutting him up. "That was my leg." Murphy hissed. 

"I know." Faye said dryly.

"Easy. She did the right thing in the end." Echo said. 

"No. I haven't seen them." Clarke said.

"What'd we miss?" Raven asked as her and Shaw walked in after Jordan had given algae to Abby.

"Nothing. It's about time. Take a seat. Okay, everyone. Listen up. Here's what we know. Eligius three was a colonizing mission. According to the file, the mothership went to 5 planets that met necessary conditions for life, dropping mission teams on each one. Monty picked planet Alpha for us because it's the closest and probably the most like Earth." Bellamy explained. 

"Was there a "probably"?" Murphy asked.

"We have to assume they couldn't know for sure until they got here. We can scan the atmosphere from the bridge." Shaw said. 

"Actually, we can't." Jordan pointed out. "None of the equipment we used to monitor Earth is working. I'm guessing it's interference from the ionosphere."

"Bottom line is, we won't know if it's survivable until we get down there." Bellamy said. 

"Sounds familiar." Clarke said.

"What about radio signals?" Raven asked. "Anything from the ground that says the mission team survived?" 

"No radio signals." Bellamy said.

"Likely also the ionosphere." Jordan said. "There is an ultra-high-frequency ping on radar, faint but--" 

"A rescue beacon. We used them on Eligius four to--" Shaw started.

"Great. If there's a beacon, that means someone's down there, right?" Emori interrupted.

"Not necessarily. They're solar, so--"

"They can last forever." Raven said. "How log ago did Eligius three get here?"

"Hard to tell since they never radioed back, but best estimate--200 years, give or take." Jordan said, shrugging at the numbers.

"That's a long time to wait for a rescue." Murphy said. 

"I trust Monty." Echo stated.

"Great. Then it's settled. We land at a distance, giving us time to acclimate. We'll wait for them to come to us." Bellamy said. 

"Let's talk about guns. If we have them, we'll use them." Clarke said. 

"We're taking guns. We're also taking nonlethals. Now, Eligius four had gas grenades and shock batons to control the criminals. We won't shoot first this time." Bellamy said. 

"In that case, Clarke should stay here." 

"Raven, you're the one that's staying here." Bellamy told her. 

"What? Like hell I am."

"Look. We can't take both our pilots, and since we'll be flying blind until we're below the ionosphere, it has to be Shaw. That's not all. Jordan, you're staying, too."

"Me? Why?"

"I know it's hard, but your parents asked us to keep you safe. We have no idea what's waiting for us down there." Faye said.

"Which is why we should take our best fighters." Echo said, looking at Faye. They both already knew that meant them, but they couldn't take on a whole planet.

"My sister is the last person I trust not to shoot first, so she stays on ice with everyone else until we know what we're dealing with." Bellamy said. 

"And if it's too late by then?" Echo asked. 

"Between the three of us, I think we'll be fine." Rich said, placing his hand on Echo's shoulder.

"We'll wake up Miller." Faye compromised. 

"Good. Say your good-byes. Head to the transport ship." Bellamy said. 

"Well, I call shotgun." Murphy said.

"Echo." Faye went after her. 

"Heda. What is it?" She asked. 

"I just wanted to say thank you for keeping Madi safe. Protecting Bellamy. And making Rich smile for the first time since we opened the bunker." Faye said. 

"I don't know what you're talking about." Echo said, shaking her head. 

"I see the way you two look at each other. You both deserve to be happy." Faye said. 

"I really like him, but I think he still misses Nia." Echo said.

"He's always going to miss her. That doesn't mean you two can't be happy."