Chapter Eighty

"Absolutely not." Clarke said.

"Clarke, you know what a Commander means to the Grounders. 6 years ago you tried to force the Flame on Luna and fought to keep Faye away from it. You were willing to put it in your own head to prevent a war over this bunker. How is this any different?" Bellamy asked. 

"Madi's a child. That's how. I don't care how many of these people still believe in the Flame. They believe in Blodreina more. If you want one so bad, convince Faye. They're her people." Clarke said. 

"Madi will be protected. Gaia and I--"

"What happens when Octavia wakes up?" Clarke demanded. 

"If she wakes up, we will be in the valley, and she will see what peace is like with her own eyes, and she will understand. I know it." Bellamy insisted. 

"The answer's no. Now unchain me so we can get the hell out of here before we all get executed for treason." 

Bellamy looked up. He knew Clarke was fighting so hard for him to see it her way, but he needed to stop the war and he wanted Faye back. The Faye that didn't have the Flame. The Faye who refused to be Commander.

"Clarke...Echo, Raven, Murphy, and Emori are my family. I'm sorry. This is happening." 

"Don't do this, Bellamy." Clarke pulled against her chains. "Bellamy," she struggled and fought so hard, but the chains wouldn't budge, "you said that you'd protect her. You said you'd keep her safe. Bellamy! Agh! Yaagh! No! Bellamy! Wait! You don't know what could happen!" Clarke screamed.

"The blood of the Commanders...is your blood." Gaia recited. "Let the Commander ascend. Don't be afraid." 

"This will help Faye and get us to the valley?" Madi asked. 

Gaia looked at Bellamy, who nodded. "Yes." 

"Then do it." Madi nodded, convincing herself this was good. 

Faye groaned as she began to wake up. Bellamy knelt down next to her. "She's waking up. If we're doing this, we have to do it now."

"Are you sure about this?" Gaia stood over her with a scalpel, getting ready to remove the Flame.

Bellamy stood, taking his hand off her arm. "Just get it out." 

Gaia went to cut open her scar but Faye woke up and quickly grabbed the scalpel and kicked Gaia away. 

Bellamy ran to stop Faye, forcing her to drop the sharp tool as he wrapped his arms around her body. 

"Please, Gaia. You don't know what you're doing. Please, Fleimkepa!" Faye cried as Bellamy held her back.

Gaia paused for a moment. 

"Gaia." Bellamy pulled her back into focus. 

"Please, Bellamy. It could kill me!" Faye cried. As Bellamy stopped fighting her, Faye stopped struggling, but he didn't let go. "Tell him, Gaia. The Flame has never been taken from a Commander before their death." 

Faye fell to the floor, relaxing her body from exhaustion as Bellamy went down with her, holding her gently. 

"It's true." Gaia admitted. "I don't know what could happen." 

"The truth." Faye said weakly. "There's more." 

"Gaia, please. If there's more, you have to tell me." Bellamy pleaded. 

"The Flame has been connected to her mind for so long. If I take it out now, part of the Flame would remain inside her, and part of her would still be in the Flame. I don't know if it will kill her or not." She explained.

"Everybody get your hands up now." Miller ordered as guards filled the room. 

Clarke walked in and immediately went to check on Faye. She checked the back of her neck and saw the Flame had not been removed.

"The ascension has not been started." Gaia informed her.

Clarke glared at Bellamy as Madi ran to her side. 

"Quiet, traitor. Clarke, do it." Octavia said. She looked to Clarke, knowing they had an understanding. Clarke held a small knife that no one had noticed before. 

"Wait!" Bellamy shouted. "Gaia, tell them." 

"If you take out the Flame, there is a great chance you could kill her." Gaia said. 

"As Clarke told me, Faye planned to kill me." Octavia said, looking at Clarke. "Do it."

"Please, Clarke." Bellamy begged. 

Faye stood up. "I'm the Commander. If you want the Flame, you'll have to kill me first, Blodreina."

"Take them to the rover." Octavia ordered a guard. "Arrest the traitors." 

Clarke, held Madi's hand as they were escorted to the rover outside. Faye was barely conscious and had to be carried.

"There it is." Clarke pointed to it.

Clarke opened the door and Madi got in. She then helped Faye into the passenger seat.

"Clarke." Madi said when she heard a gun click.

"No. No. Please." Clarke begged. "We had a deal."

"These are my orders." The guard said. "Gon Blodreina."

"Put the gun down, Joroum." Fyae said, just waking up from a deep sleep where she had been visited by the Commanders. "Yu laik Joroum kom Sangedakru...son of Lisbeth kom Sangedakru. You served with honor in the royal guard of Lexa kom Trikru. You believed in her. Now believe in me." 

The guard dropped the gun and fell to his knees.

"Heda. I'm sorry." 

A gun fired and Joroum fell with a hole in his head. Clarke stood over him with a gun. 

"Clarke. why did you do that?" 

It scared Clarke to hear Faye talk. She sounded so calm and looked confident. She sounded just like Lexa. 

"You know why."

Clarke went to shut the door. "Clarke, if we run, Octavia wins. Gaia, Indra, and Bellamy will die."

"They made their choice." Clarke said.