Chapter Twenty-Seven

The sun was setting behind the mountains in the distance, and everyone was gathered in the throne room.

The doors opened for Wanheda. Everyone watched her walk up, watching her kneel before Lexa. The next to kneel was Roan kom Azgeda. Everyone soon knelt before their Commander.

Everyone renewing their loyalty, and reminding the world that Lexa was the one true Commander. The one who saved their people from the mountain, and formed piece among the clans.

"Hail warriors of the twelve clans." Lexa said.

"Hail commander of the blood." Everyone said together.

"Rise." Clarke joined her people. "We welcome Skaikru to our halls in the spirit of friendship and harmony. And we welcome Clarke kom Skaikru, legendary Wanheda mountain slayer. The reason for this summit has changed. We are not here to negotiate a treaty with the Skaikru, but rather initiate them into the coalition."

Everyone from the clans started speaking, whispering and wondering.

"To symbolize this union, the leader of Skaikru must bear our mark."

They all waited for their leader to step forward. Kane chose to stand, presenting himself to the Commander.

"Present your arm." To swear fealty to the commander, a brand of loyalty must be pressed to the arm, as a mark to show to all.

Just when the heated metal made contact with Kane's arm, the doors flew open. Skaikru rushed in, guns raised and everyone screaming.

"What is the meaning of this?" Titus questioned.

"The summit's a trap." He threw the Grounder to the floor. "We need to get you out of here."

"What the hell is going on?" Clarke stepped forward, questioning Lexa's intentions.

"I don't know."

"It's the Ice Nation."

Ivon, the new ambassador for Azgeda stepped forward to defend his people. "These allegations are an outrage. The Ice Nation never stormed this summit with weapons, breaking our laws, that was the Skaikru."

"We're right about this. The two guards you left behind are dead already. We need to go now." Pike said.

"How did you come by this information ?" Lexa demanded.

They all looked around them. "Where the hell is Echo?" Octavia asked.

"What's going on? Where the hell is she?" Bellamy asked.

"Bell, maybe we were wrong about this." Octavia suggested.

"I don't understand."

"You trusted Echo kom Azgeda. A spy for Ice Nation." Faye told them, stepping between them and the Commander.

"Stand down." Kane grabbed the gun from Bellamy.

"Bellamy. Bellamy, come in." A familiar voice said over the radio. "The Groundwrs attacked Mount Weather."

Bellamy grabbed his radio. "What are you talking about?" He asked.

"It's gone, it's gone. They're all gone. Sinclair and I are the only ones left. I'm so sorry." Raven said through the walkie.

"You should've never moved you people back into Mount Weather. The Ice Nation did what Lexa was too weak to do."

"Hold your tongue before someone rips it out." Faye threatened.

"This is an act of war." Lexa declared. "Sentries, arrest the Ice Nation delegation! Including the prince."

Lexa heard Kane and Abby discussing their return to Arkadia.

"Go. Marshal your forces. We'll avenge the attack together."

"I'll escort them." Indra offered.

"Clarke, we need to leave. Now." Bellamy told her.

"We need an ambassador from the thirteenth clan to stay here in Polis." Lexa told them all.

"It's not safe here."

"Clarke will be safe here under my protection. Faye." Lexa turned to her. Lexa leaned in close so only Faye could hear. "Anyone threatens Clarke or her people, kill them."

"Yes, Commander."

"Commander, we must convene the war council immediately." Titus advised.

"I'll be right there." Clarke said.

- - -

After the council meeting, Lexa stayed behind with Faye.

"It's exhausting, seeing what you do to keep people, who you don't even know, safe." Faye said, staring out the window.

"I do it for my people. I only pray the next Commander will be better than me."

"No one is better to lead the twelve clans."

Lexa looked over, watching Faye's eyes scan the shadow of the mountains.

"I know you will be better than me because you will win every war. Nobody would dare March against the Commander of War."

"I can barely win one battle." Faye hung her head.

"Maybe so. But you did not lose." Faye faced Lexa. "I may be the Commander, I gained a title and the biggest army. But you helped us win the longest war against the mountain."

Lexa got down on her knees, holding Faye's hands between them.

"I swear fealty to you, Worheda. My successor, my friend, and the one person I trust with my life."

Faye pulled Lexa up.

Lexa dared to step closer, closing any space between them. Their lips pressed together. Electricity followed Lexa's touch as her hand moved down Faye's arm.

Faye finally relaxed into the kiss. She let Lexa take her breath.