Chapter 8: First mission

The two young demon slayers were now ready to set off on their first mission, but they were stopped by their trainer, Urokodaki Sakonji.

"Before you go, I want you two to know more about those uniforms you are wearing. Demon Slayer Corps uniforms are made from a special fabric. It breathes easily, and resists both water and flame. Even the claws and fangs of lesser demons cannot rend this corps uniform. Also.. take this." Urokodaki explained before pulling a box out from behind his back and giving it to Tanjiro, before he pulled out a necklace that had a triangle spearhead hanging from it.

"Tanjiro, this is a box that's made from an incredibly light wood called kirikumo cedar. You can use this to transport your sister easily during daytime. (Y/N).. I'm sorry I haven't told you yet. I've known your parents before they disappeared. They told me to give you this necklace if we ever cross paths. Also, this book as well. It comes from your great grandfather. He was the shadow hashira. This book was used as a diary. He wrote down his experiences, his moves, and everything about his breathing style. I hope that you can use his diary to strengthen yourself with the information in it, and become a powerful hashira. You too, Tanjiro." With that, the former water pillar got up from the ground. (Y/N) was looking at the book given to him, 'The Shadow Hashira's journal'. His train of thought was broken by his trainer speaking up yet again.

"Kamado. This is mere speculation, but instead of eating the flesh of humans, Nezuko may sleep to replenish her strength. I have also used a hypnosis on her during her long slumber so that she will see everyone as family, so she'll protect them. Of course, she will still remember (Y/N). I hope that is okay with you."

Tanjiro stiffened up. "Yes, thank you!"

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The two young boys stood outside their trainer's cabin, ready to leave. Before they could go, Urokodaki came out of the small house and walked over to the two.

"Wait." Once he got to them, he started straightening out the creases and swiping away any dirt that was stuck to the two kids' haori. "Now you are ready to go."

The two kids thanked the man and left, waving to him. Urokodaki just smiled under his tengu mask, waving back.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

After a day of walking, Tanjiro and (Y/N) finally got the village their crows were talking about. There, they saw a beat up man walking slowly down the street.

"Look. Kazumi is so pitifully haggard. Because he was with Satoko when she disappeared." One of the bystanders said to another.

"Night after night. It's so creepy." Another one of them continued.

"Yes, it's awful!" One of them exclaimed.

"When night comes, another young girl will disappear." Tanjiro had heard enough, and decided to turn back to face Kazumi.

"Kazumi, I would like to speak with you, if I may?" The man just turned around and stared at Tanjiro. After a while, he nodded and walked over to them. 

(Y/N), already knowing what Tanjiro wanted to ask Kazumi, spoke for him. "Can you show us the exact location Satoko disappeared?"

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

"This is where Satoko disappeared. You may not believe me, but-" Kazumi spoke, but was cut off by Tanjiro.

"We believe you! We absolutely believe you! Truly!" After reassuring Kazumi, Tanjiro immediately got to the ground and started sniffing.

"Smell anything?" (Y/N) asked Tanjiro.

"The faint odor of a demon remains... But it's uneven and unusual." The burgundy haired male mumbled.