Chapter 2: Encountering the first demon

"I beg your pardon, but may I take that basket and some bamboo and a little straw?" Tanjiro asked two farmers.

Nezuko was in a small cave in a hole to hide from the sunlight. Between the entrance and the hole sat (Y/N), just to give more protection to the demon girl from the sun's rays.

"We don't mind, but the basket has a hole in it." One of the farmers responded.

"That's all right. Can I pay you?" Tanjiro offered.

"No need, it's a broken basket." The farmer refused while waving his hand in the air.

"Please, let me pay." The red haired boy insisted.

"No, thank you. You can have the other stuff too." The man shook his head.

"But I want to pay!" Tanjiro raised his voice. (Y/N) just sighed, hearing the whole conversation. He decided to tune it out and look at Nezuko who was humming to herself, her eyes closed and head rocking from left to right.

The boy reached out and patted her head, to which she opened her eyes and looked up at him from the hole, confused.

He smiled. "I'm.. glad. I'm glad you're alive and well... Even if you've became a demon. I'm glad Tanjiro still has someone from his family. You didn't know this until now, but.. my parents disappeared suddenly when I was still a little kid. So it was pretty hard for me to stay alive. And ever since I met Tanjiro, life has gotten better since then. Though we haven't seen each other that much before, you're basically my second closest friend."

(Y/N) vented to the demon girl in the hole. At this point, tears were falling from his eyes. Nezuko just looked at him sadly, squeezing the hand that he patted her with.

"I'm so glad that you two are still alive! I don't know what I could've done without you guys!" (Y/N), put his other hand in his face, trying to stop the tears by wiping them away, which were now coming faster. Nezuko could hear the pain in his voice.

The girl did something that (Y/N) didn't expect. She grabbed onto his hand and pulled him into the hole. The boy flipped over to soften the fall, and fell on his back.

(Y/N) stopped trying to wipe the tears away and looked at his legs that were out the hole, questioning in his head what just happened.

Nezuko suddenly hugged him, rubbing the back of his head with one of her hands, rocking back and forth. "Hmm.. Hmm.." She hummed, trying to comfort the crying boy.

"Hehe, thanks." (Y/N) chuckled, and smiled. He closed his eyes, since he was exhausted. He hasn't slept since that day.

A few minutes went by like this and (Y/N) calmed down and fell asleep. Tanjiro finally came back, a fixed basket and a cloth in hand.

"Huh? What happened here? Wait- (Y/N) IS THAT YOU?! ARE YOU OKAY?!" To all the commotion Nezuko poked her head out the hole. She signalled Tanjiro to stay quiet with a finger over the bamboo muzzle she had on.

The boy walked over and peeked into the hole, smiling at the sight. Nezuko hugging a sleeping (Y/N). What made him a little sad was the tear stains on the sleeping boy's face. He kinda heard what happened while he was fixing up the basket.

"Alright. Can you get into this basket, please? I wanna travel during the day." Tanjiro lowered his voice and pointed at the basket that he put down near the hole.

Nezuko looked at it confused. "Get in, please?" Tanjiro rubbed his nape while chuckling.

The demon girl let go of the boy she held onto and climbed out of the hole. She could only fit her head and her shoulders into the basket.