Chapter 15

"N-No w-way! A-Any-t-thing we put on this will b-b-break!" Gen's voice warbled as he rode the Steam Gorilla prototype along the pavement. The uneven road coupled with the already shaking engine was bound to give everyone who rode it severe whiplash. "And why am I the one riding this?"

     "What are you talking about, Gen? It's obviously because you're the only one with a driver's licence," (Name) pointed out.

     "I can't help but feel this is revenge for when I pointed out—"

     "Fifty meters." Just the two words were enough to silence Gen. He lost the argument before it could even begin.

     "Fifty meters what?" Senku questioned. (Name) simply smiled radiantly at him, making him forget everything in an instant. "Well, I guess it's not important. I'm sure the kid team has finished making it by now... the airless tires! It's time to upgrade our Steam Gorilla!"

★彡

     "Ooh, it's finally complete!" Kaseki cried tears of joy just seeing the finished Steam Gorilla automobile in all its glory. "I pity the captured Chrome..."

     "Indeed." Kohaku began. "Even if he's a valuable prisoner to Tsukasa, there's no telling what kind of treatment he—"

     "No, wait, I think they mean something else, Kohaku," (Name) deadpanned as soon as she noticed the gleeful glimmer in the remaining science team's eyes.

     "We've made something as incredible as an automobile and yet, Chrome is not here to see it... it's too pitiful!" Kaseki swooned.

     "Yeah, it's so pitiful, all of America weeps," Senku harmonised. "We'll have to go and show off the Steam Gorilla with all our might, huh?"

     "If I hadn't already before, I feel more sorry for Chrome." The angel sweat dropped. "But I feel more sorry for us considering how treacherous the trip ahead of us is going to be..."

     "Hah! We'll see about that! There's nothing we can't overcome with power!" Magma roared in confidence, ready to head out and wreak havoc on the Tsukasa Empire for the shameful loss he experienced before.

     "Don't say I didn't warn you..."

★彡

     "It stops on inclines?! That's not very efficient, is it, Beansprout?" Magma yelled at Senku as they heaved and hulled the Steam Gorilla with all their might over the hill.

     "I did warn you..." (Name) sighed as she pushed it beside Senku. But faltered when she realised he wasn't beside her anymore. Where could he...? "Oh no..."

     Just behind her, was the most horridly terrifying villainous grin she had ever seen him make. It was enough to send alarms blaring in Kohaku's instincts even as she pulled the Steam Gorilla from in front. "I just sensed Senku's up to no good!" She yelled to the back.

     "She's gone ahead and developed a sensing mechanism for when Senku goes awol!"

     "No, actually, I'm the one who taught her that... for when Senku needs to be reeled back to reality..." (Name) shrugged her shoulders as Senku had already begun planning the upgrades to the automobile. "But I guess there's no stopping him now."

★彡

     At around midday a few days later, they found themselves a good location to set up their base for the war. Situated near the river and with the coverage of ragged cliffs, it was also the perfect spot for Kohaku and (Name) to keep an eye out for the enemy if they came too close.

     Now that (Name) was back in the Tsukasa Empire, she couldn't help but remember the man she had met when she first surveyed the area. 'If I could get him to come over to our side, it would help the kingdom of science to have another good pair of ears that can spy from the inside...' she pondered while they were setting up camp.