Chapter 4

After the villagers were given the revelation that the young angel they were protecting was actually the one who could protect them, everyone changed their tune and allowed her to do almost anything. Except for one person, Kokuyo. Adamant to his decisions, he refused to allow (Name) to leave the village. Even when visiting Chrome, she has to be accompanied by one of the villagers. And (Name) wouldn't feel too good deceiving an innocent to escape Kokuyo's tenacious grasps. And so she does as her long-planned strategy says, that she had spent an entire year memorising. She challenges Kokuyo to a duel. And wins.

     "Then, I shall get moving," the girl waves to the entire village who came out to say farewell like she was leaving forever, even though she would only be gone for a few days. Carrying only a bow, and several dozen arrows, crafted by the best of the best, Kaseki, and several supplies, she waved goodbye to the village.
     "Wait, come back!" Kokuyo yells as he shoves his way through the crowd, Jasper and Turqoise holding him back. "Come back and become the village chief! It has to be you!"
     The villagers hastily rushed to push Kokuyo away from (Name), cheering for her to get going if she didn't want to be trapped as village chief for the rest of her life. She laughs and joins up with Kohaku who was on her way to retrieve more hot water from the nearby spring for Ruri. She indulges herself in the liberating cool air, gradually leaving the salty waterfront and entering the dense, earthy forest.

Kohaku could only watch in amazement as (Name) zips past her eyes, going crazy over trees and flowers and rocks. And of course, the two being the athletic Spartans they were, stayed up for the past two days of ongoing travel to allow (Name) to make the most out of her time out of the village. As (Name) flies over the canopy of trees, she spots a small mountain in the far distance. She was about to plunge back in through the branches to guide Kohaku to their next location when a loud blast of sound, followed by shock waves caught her off guard and she tumbled through the branches, fortunately catching herself by tangling herself in vines.
"What was that?" Kohaku quickly draws her knife. "In that direction is a mountain. Don't tell me we incurred the mountain's anger?"
"No, no, mountains don't have that sort of feeling in them." (Name) quickly untangles herself from the branches. "However, it is unnatural for explosions to happen..." A sudden realisation struck the girl. "What if... Kohaku, quickly find some kindling! We need to make a fire!"
Kohaku didn't need to be told twice, like the outdoor specialist she was, she quickly collected several branches and started puffing on the cinders. As soon as the fire started going, (Name) used the smoke to create morse code. "Senku". Although it was just her hopeful thinking, she truly, deeply wished she was right. Not long after, two more smoke columns could be seen rising beyond the thickets of the tree leaves, but there was no reply back.
"You should go," Kohaku said firmly, pushing the angel's back. "Have a look at the situation. I'll continue lighting more fires."
She watched from a very safe distance, at the people who started the fires. (Name) let out a sudden gasp and brought shaky hands to cover her trembling lips. The girl could barely see through her blurred eyes, but she knew what she saw. It was Senku! Senku was alive! Not only that, Yuzuriha was there! Meaning so would Taiju! She won't be alone anymore! Kohaku's sudden gasp brought her out of her fantasy and her eyes widened. The previous swelling feeling of happiness and joy faded, and anger, confusion and sadness sprouted as she saw Yuzuriha's hair getting snipped off in one swing of the opposing man's spear.
"What do we do, (Name)?" Kohaku felt chills and goosebumps prodding at her skin as she glanced at the angel. Her menacingly cold and gleaming glare burned like the sun, yet froze her over like frigid water. "(N-Name)...?"
Her glare snapped back into her neutral gaze. But Kohaku could still see the fiery coldness in her eyes. "For now..." (Name)'s hands clenched tightly, "...we wait."
And so they did. Observing with their hawk-like vision, preying on every last detail and action played out before them. (Name), once her head had cooled off a bit, was relieved she didn't jump into all the action like she wanted to. Because once she realised who they were up against, she realised she couldn't simply appear before Tsukusa, the man whom she had met many times before. Had she been recognised, she would have been a deadweight in the situation by being held hostage as the less experienced fighter. In the first place, ambushes don't work as well on Tsukasa because of his fighting experience in the ring. He is someone not even (Name) can defeat without getting injured herself.
     They watched with anxious eyes as the group fought, waiting for a moment when they would and could jump in to help. It was especially hard for (Name), holding herself back every time to not fly in and wreck havoc. Yuzuriha was pushed to the side and Taiju was in an awkward position. Tsukasa was right before Senku and they were talking, but the two girls could not hear anything even with their good hearing.
Then a person fell; Senku. Something snapped in (Name). An unconscious response of fury. She reached her hands to her back, grabbing her bow and arrow. Kohaku was baffled. She didn't know what to do. More so, she could never dare to stand in the way of those fierce and powerful eyes that make her shiver from just a glance. (Name)'s hand drew back the arrow. She took in a long breath. Her eyes flickering across the conflict site before locking in to only one place. And she let go. The arrow flew.

     And it hit.