Chapter 3

"(Name)?" Ruri's voice could be heard following a gentle rapping on the wooden door of the angel's room. "I don't think we should disturb her..."
"But she's holed herself in there since last spring! It's spring! Again! Right now!" Kohaku yelled quietly. "She's only open the door to receive food. I haven't even seen her since the end of last spring!" The girls fell silent immediately at the sound of the door opening by itself. Their mouths hung open slightly as the village angel took her first step out of her room for the first time in a long time. "(Name)... you..." Kohaku could barely form any words as she points a trembling and baffled finger at the young angel. "Why do you look so refreshed?!"
     The young girl, as if not even the past year of shutting herself away from the world had gotten to her, stepped out gracefully, long knee-length hair swayed to her small steps. Although black smudges and written symbols were imprinted all over her exposed skin and her blotched leather dress, her lively eyes shone through the muck and brought life to her complexion. Her wide smile made it all the more convincing.
Ruri glanced slightly into the room. Her concerned eyes grew wide and she lets out the loudest gasp. "What happened to your room?"
Kohaku looks past the girl, examining the state of the room. What was previously a ramshackle little hut became a curtain gallery of paper, large canvases of leather were strewn across every available space. The floors, the walls, even hanging from the roof. Canvases muddled with black ink, graphs and paragraphs, bullet-points and small illustrations tattooed across every millimetre of the cloth. If they didn't smell it before, they could now. The whole room reeked of sea water and ink. But it was proof of the girl's year-long toil to accomplish everything.
"What have you been doing all this time?" Kohaku questioned, plugging her crinkling nose. "Why does the room look and smell like this?"
(Name) smiled brightly. "I have decided to delve myself into my archived knowledge. I had a goal I wanted to achieve and although I haven't achieved it, I know of ways to accomplish it. This entire room is filled with my plans for the future and backup plans if those plans fail and even backup plans for the backup plans." The sisters looked at each other with a grim look on their face. "And in the meantime, because I kept running out of ink, I dived into the ocean in search of squids myself until Chrome stopped me sometime in autumn because he was concerned that I was gonna freeze to death. So I fly to his place every now and then to collect more ink."
"Wait... You've left your room before?" Kohaku questions. "I didn't even see you."
The girl smiles even wider. "I jumped out the window, that's why." Ruri slumps onto her sister, from shock. "But I would've thought that with your sense of hearing you would have noticed my constant departures from the house... that is quite interesting to note."
By the end of it, even Kohaku couldn't keep up with the angel's ramblings and shoved her out of the house to breathe some fresh air.

A flowery spring breeze welcomed the girl as she strolled through the village, greeting and seeing the villagers for the first time in a while. Because it was spring, from her calculations, some time in April, it was the best time to venture beyond the village reaches. And the first step to do that... is the villagers' acknowledgement. Before and even after (Name) went into seclusion, the villagers would constantly try to keep her away from chores. By showing to them her capability to finish simple jobs, they'd slowly allow her to try new things. But of course, (Name) would never settle for doing small tasks. Her objective for the day... is the hunting team. And the biggest hurdle was partially cleared.
     "You're Magma, right?" She approached the muscle-for-brains hunter of the group with a conniving grin on her face. He turned his head with a scowl on his face that stretched upwards into a gut-wrenching smile upon seeing the girl.
     "What's this? Have you finally decided to become my woman?" He shook his head slightly with an irksome smirk upon his lips, his nose held high. "Sorry, but I'm busy courting Ruri, can't afford to settle for less than chief, you see."
     "Ah, is that so..." (Name) blankly stares at the man, eyes as dead as a dead fish's. "Well, first of all... Ruri will definitely not be marrying you." Before a word could even leave Magma's uncouth mouth, she swung her hand towards his face, millimetres away from scratching against his nose with her pointing finger. "And second of all... I challenge you to a duel."

     The training grounds were abuzz by the declaration of the angel. Magma stood nonchalantly, shoulders sloped and one hand holding his resting spear on his shoulder as he watched (Name) prepare for the match. She eyed every available weapon in the storage house. Many were seen before in modern times. But if she were able to leave the village, the first thing she would do is locate some good wood to make her own weapon. Maybe a wooden katana? They don't have one from what she's seen. But of course, that wasn't until later on in her plans.
From what she understood in duels, despite being primitive in some of their ways, the traditions of duelling kept most of its respect towards both challengers. As such, neither side, nor the audience would be allowed to cheat. And that worked in her favour. Carrying an implanted computer in her head, she is able to simulate hundreds of movement patterns before the first step at her disposal without being considered cheating. And so she picks her weapon wisely.
The crowds whispers escalated to gasps of confusion and shock as (Name) leaves the storage room. But the girl herself is unshaken, placing one foot before the other confidently, her weapon swaying by her sides. Magma's smirk is downturned as he scowled at the girl.
"Is this some kind of trick?" He growled.
The angel flashed him a wide grin. "What ever could you be referring to? There's no cheating allowed in a duel, don't you know that?" Her eyes landed on his henchman, "You know that very well too, don't you, Mantle...?"
"O-Of course..." he sneakily throws a rock behind his back. The girl's rigid look softened and she nodded her head in approval.
"However, surely you don't think you can win against my weapon?" (Name) leers, watching with much satisfaction as she prods on Magma's nerve.
"Hah!" Magma readied his spear, lowering his body weight. "You're just looking for trouble. I will never lose... against someone fighting with only their bare fist!"
"We shall see..." She nodded to Jasper to ready the cue to start the duel. He raised his hand. Magma tightens the grip around his spear. (Name)'s eyes focus in on her opponent. Already in her head...
"Begin!" ...she saw her victory.
Magma swiftly lunges forward, aiming to plunge his spear through the girl's abdomen. One bat of an eyelash, and the girl disappeared. Another, and she landed gently on his spear, body lowered slightly, like a beautiful ballerina in third position, eyes glimmering like a coiling viper. Blink. And Magma was sent flying, (Name) flipping through the air. Crash. And Magma was unconscious with a reddening bruise on his chin, the cheerful angel smiling pridefully at her wonderful performance. The crowd was silent. Before, they thought it was mere luck that allowed the girl's triumph against the village brute. But now they see... they were like kittens trying to protect a lion. And the lion defeated their best warrior, not only within seconds, but with none other than her bare hands.
"Winner... Lady (Name)!"