Chapter 6

"Say, she is going to be fine, right?" Kohaku mumbles as the triad of mixed and matched people sat around the fire in the middle of the night. "She hasn't woken up-"
     Senku lets out a yell of frustration, jumping to his feet and pointing at the young girl. "Look, I've already treated her and she isn't bleeding any more. She's fine! So stop asking whether she's fine every minute, I'm not a millimetre interested to hear you say it sixty times in the next hour! Even I'm worried about her but I know she will recover."
     Kohaku was frozen stiff at his outburst. His initial calm and collected self seemed to unravel when it involved the unconscious angel resting peacefully near the fire. It didn't take much for her to know that Senku sees (Name) the same way Chrome sees Ruri. Except Senku was clearly aware of his own feelings. A small smile crept on her face, making Senku shiver at her response to his scolding.
     "You must cherish her a lot," Kohaku says, dropping her twin daggers from her hands and leaving them by her side, lowering her guard and trusting this stranger she only just met that day. The young man was assessing her tone. It wasn't a question, neither was it a statement. It was her plea.
     "I don't give a millimetre about what you tell me. I know how I should treat her even without you begging me to." He sighs and lies down, closing his eyes to sleep.
     "Who said I was begging?!"

     (Name) could smell the salty breeze of the ocean. A smell she had only smelled in the village. The sound of people talking. Light. It was in the morning or afternoon. She could feel someone holding her up. A familiar warmth. Senku. Her eyes opened slowly, adjusting to the glaring brightness of the morning sun. Carefully, she assessed and understood the situation.
     "Outsiders are forbidden. That's the rule, right?" Ginro said, coolly, but even a stranger would be able to notice his wavering tone.
     "Even more so, now that we see that Lady (Name) has returned injured. They are not to be trusted." Kinro added. "Any outsiders are criminals who were exiled in the past. So there's no way we'd let him in. Whether he's your benefactor or anyone else, we can't consider individual circumstances."
(Name) glanced towards the small bowl of water near them and nudged Senku softly. He was surprised but caught himself before he let it show. Noticing her point towards the water and the soap he had in his poach he grinned as he understood her plan. His scheming chuckle silenced the conversation as he rubbed water on the soap. The angel watching was clearly unamused, having gotten used to his schemes over the years they grew up together. But that was also a part of him that she found to be very endearing.
The twins were astounded by the bubbles blown by Senku, feeling overwhelmed by the "dangerous" abilities the bubbles could hold as they swarmed them in hoards. They flailed around, Kinro attempting to stab every last one like his life depended on it. It would be a lie if (Name) said it wasn't hilarious. When she saw Senku's devilish grin again, she sighed and shook her head. Overtaking the village? Impossible. But not for Senku.
"If you're going to start somewhere, I recommend Chrome," (Name) piped up.
"Who's that?" Senku turned to the girl curiously.
"He's a useful guy," she caught Senku's eyes, returning the terrifying smile he always made, "...very useful..."
Senku's smile grew wider. 'It's good to have my partner back by my side...'
"You two are clearly a match made in heaven..." Kohaku shivers as she compared the two's chilling grins.

"Finally he appears..." Kohaku murmurs when Chrome charges in at the sound of Ginro's calling for help. "Sure saves us the effort of searching for him."
     "Wait, what are these miraculous floating orbs?!" Chrome exclaims in panic. "I've never seen it before in my life!"
     (Name)'s eyes narrowed at him. "I showed you this before, Chrome."
     He caught himself and coughed. "What I meant to say is... leave this to me!"
     "A useful guy, you say?" Senku mutters to the angel softly.
     "When it counts." They pause as Chrome leads them back to his shack. "Did I also mention he is an entertainer of sorts?"
     "Behold! Rainbow bridge!" Chrome cackles as he throws random powders into the flame.
     "Entertaining, indeed," Senku smirks. "Where'd you get the copper? Was it copper sulphate? Guess you won't understand with that... The blue crystals you probably swiped from some cave somewhere."
     Chrome's jaw drops to the ground when his trick is immediately exposed. "Don't break him, we need him," (Name) quickly says to Senku. "Although he may seem durable, he's as fragile as glass."
     "What's glass?" Kohaku asks while Senku and Chrome duke things out in the background.
     "I'll tell you on the way, it looks like they're gonna take a while so let's bring that hot water to Ruri first." The girl waves to Senku and the others while she gently pushes Kohaku along the path back to the village.

Senku's POV
     It's been a few days since I captured and established the home base of operations in Chrome's shed. That being said, I've had enough time to finally let things sink in. Not to mention, telling Chrome and Kohaku about the world from thousands of years ago. In that sense, it also made me realise the errors of navigation using the stars after so many years. To think I hadn't thought of it. All practitioners of science would call me a joke.
     "Speaking of which, I haven't seen (Name) in a while." I brought up as we brainstorm ways to get the furnace to function.
     "My father, the village chief, is going on a rampage and is lecturing her for getting injured. While Kinro and Ginro are manning the entrance to the village, he's guarding her way out," Kohaku explains. "For whatever reason, he's so adamant about not taking back his previous orders. An absolute blockhead of a father. And he's doing this while trying to convince her to stay in the village as its chief."
     "Is that so..." While I was relieved that she was doing fine, I'm starting to miss her, not that I'd ever admit that. Out loud at least... Kohaku noticed my bland response.
     "If you have something you want to say to her, why not ask Suika to deliver it?" Suika, hearing her name, rolls over and looks at me expectantly for her next task.
     I clicked my tongue. "Do you have something I can write with?"

Normal POV
     (Name) was bored. Yet again. She was bored enough to think that the three thousand-plus years she spent in rock were more entertaining than sitting, listening to Kokuyo's preaching. He had just finished his scolding for getting injured while out of the village and he was now going into a spiral on why becoming village chief would be better than exploring. But any information was useful information so she let her computer brain record his lecture and record it in her memory while she daydreams of being able to leave this hut.
Finally, Kokuyo was called away for something and (Name) was saved from hearing the rest of his nagging. A soft knock at the door caught her attention. Slowly, she opens it and sees nothing until she feels a presence at her feet. Looking down, she makes eye contact with Suika, holding a parchment in her hands.
"A delivery from Senku," she chirps with a bright smile. The girl couldn't help but brighten up and smile back.
"Thank you, Suika, good job!" She pats her melon helmet softly. Suika's cheeks redden from joy before waving and rolling back to Senku. (Name) returns to her hut, navigating through her maze of scribbled canvases, and opens the "letter" at her desk. Her smile stretched even wider and a warm red tint glows on her cheeks.

"I miss you."