Chapter 8

"How'd you like your present?"

"It was perfect!" (Name) wrapped her arms around Senku's neck, her wings subconsciously shifting around him. "Now I have pressure to find a better birthday present for you."

"Do you even know what the date is?"

"My computer stopped counting a while ago and its timer function seems to be malfunctioning so I lost track of time. I only know a year has passed because I carved the number of days in my room walls like in the prison scenes of movies."

"That would be a horrific sight to anyone from the past. Ten billion percent, they would think some crazy person was held captive in there."

"That's not too far off!" The angel laughed. Just her laughter brought a smile to the scientist's face. As she calmed her giggles, her gaze met his. "It was... really hard to live without you... Doing things by myself without you being there felt strange. I guess it should be expected taking into consideration we grew up together."

"Yeah, the feeling's mutual. The person that I would always rely on was no longer by my side. And you wouldn't be there even if I called your name." Senku turned his eyes to the moon, resisting the tears as the suppressed emotions from months ago came rising from his chest. "I genuinely thought that I would never see you again. The possibility of you being swept away by tsunamis or smashed to pieces and scattered across the land crossed my mind several times." He took a deep breath, reaching out and grabbing her hand. "But... at least now I know you're safe. And you're by my side again."

"When I saw you fall from being attacked by Tsukasa, I nearly let my emotions blind me and I nearly became a murderer. But I know you wouldn't want to be friends with a murderer." She tried to crack a joke to hide her hidden despair.

"Yeah, that would be a bit much," Senku said jokingly.

A silence shrouded them. The sounds of crickets and rustling leaves surrounded them: a young boy and a young girl, two friends standing under the moonlight, hand in hand. Friends...

"(Name)...! Actually, I—"

"Senku! (Name)!" Chrome's anxious cries break them apart from each other. The boy came running towards them, the group following behind him. "Gen was—!"

★彡

"Blood pack made from animal blood..." (Name) examined the makeshift bags that Gen had wrapped around his body. "He really is like a magician through and through."

"Yeah, what a capable guy." Senku nodded as he finished his treatment on Gen.

"I don't know when he'll be able to walk again. But if he doesn't make it back to Tsukasa in time, Senku will be killed and (Name) will be taken away..." Kohaku's voice murmured from outside the hut while talking to the others.

As much as it hurt to admit, Gen would be the reason the two's location and condition would be exposed to the enemy. Much less, they would be torn apart again.

"S-Senku-chan... (N-Name)-chan..." Gen's weak voice called them.

"You're still weak from getting attacked. Take it easy—"

"In this stone world, can you make it? A bottle of cola..."

"When I said to be straightforward with what you want, this was exactly what I meant," (Name) smiled softly at the mentalist. "Of course, we can make it. It's us, after all!"

     "There you go again... making me feel single..."

★彡

"That guy, Gen! He escaped in the middle of the night! He's going to tell the Tsukasa Empire that Senku and (Name) are here!" Chrome's hollering awake everyone who had stayed up to take care of the man. "We gotta go after him!"