𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑡𝑤𝑒𝑙𝑣𝑒: 𝑅𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑆𝑚𝑖𝑙𝑒𝑠

❦ ♔ ♚ ❦ ♔ ♚ ❦

❦ ♔ ♚ ❦ ♔ ♚ ❦

Y/n L/n, Welding Apprentice

After trudging along through the forest, you noticed some wheezing coming from the Prince. "I wonder why they attacked" You mused while splashing some water from your flask onto the rash. "Mosty likely to take my father and I out, the King and the heir gone in one swoop. Opens up the kingdom to a takeover from rebel groups or even other nations" He responded.

"Terribly smart, that is if they succeed" You noted in a dull voice. You both fell into a quiet pace on the way toward the village. This is the first time we've had a conversation that wasn't well, awful.

You paused for a moment, scrunching your nose. Something in the air caught your attention. "Do you smell–" You asked, his eyes widened. "Shit a fire, they are trying to smoke us out" Prince Larkyn hissed. "It's coming towards the north, looks like it's to block anyone from making it to the village" You said. "I guess we'll have to make it before that happens, come on" Prince Larkyn said moving along forwards.

"Woah, slow down we're going towards the danger? We're both injured and at a disadvantage numbers wise" You pointed out. He turned to you with a glare "So what, we just wait here and let them swarm us?"You resisted the urge to snap at him and instead decided to be straight with him. Prince or not.

"I get you wanna ride into battle, but we are fucked if we don't do this right. Your wounds might kill you before the rouges do, and if we get too close to the fire the smoke will suffocate us" You said in a frustrated tone. He looked almost shocked, moving a piece of his caramel-colored hair out of his face.

"So let me treat your injury, let's take a breather, and then try to escape" You finished. "Well, you have more guts than most servants L/n" He laughed.

Prince Larkyn laughed, a sound you were sure almost nobody had heard. He removed his garments, revealing a large bruise on his chest. Your eyes widened, he'd acted rather normally with a painful injury.

"You'll need herbs to treat this" You said, while he raised an eyebrow. "Were you trained in medicine?" Prince Larkyn asked. "No I am not, but I am familiar with the herbs in this region Sir Finn taught me" You said, fondly remembering the memory. The dried herbs often made you sneeze, but you pushed through ignoring Sir Finn's quiet laughter.

"Are you his bastard?" Prince Larkyn interrogated, while your jaw dropped. "You speak of him more than your own 'Father' and he seemed to have taken you under his wing" He continued.

What the hell does he know, just because I don't speak about my father doesn't mean he isn't my dad. I'm here and doing all of this for him, so that he has a chance to get better.

"There must be some herbs around here we can use" I said gruffly. Stalking away I felt my annoyance die down, the situation hitting me. If I did die today it would be with someone I dislike, I'd never see my friends and family again.

"Aha!" I softly cheered finding a patch of white willow trees, then carving the bark out with my sword. Making my way back to our area I saw Prince Larkyn was gone.

The place had gone silent and then the edge of a blade met my throat. I immediately dropped the bark. I felt the warm familiar breath near my ear "What did you bring" Prince Larkyn demanded. I felt my back stiffen against his tone chest.

"It's meant to help with pain–why the hell are you holding me at knifepoint" You hissed back at him. "How the hell do I know you're not lying, you could easily poison me if you wished. It's not like I've given you a reason not to you" He admitted near the end.

I see he's paranoid and in survival mode, but I didn't do anything wrong.

"Look, It's true I am not fond of you in any sense, but I don't want to see any members of the royal family hurt or killed. I just want to help my family that's why I'm here, and why we need to make it out alive!" You gushed out. For a moment he just stood there, both of you in silence. Before he removed his weapon from your throat.

Immediately you whipped around, putting some distance between you both. Raising your eyebrows in shock, there was a genuine smile on the Prince's face. "You are something different" Is all he said.

 "You are something different" Is all he said