𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒏𝒆: 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒍 𝑺𝒐𝒏𝒈

❦ ♔ ♚ ❦ ♔ ♚ ❦

❦ ♔ ♚ ❦ ♔ ♚ ❦

Y/n L/n, Welding Apprentice

Heat waves flushed over you as the hot flames rose up. You could feel the sweat on your brow behind the metal mask. Not that you really minded, without it you'd be without eyelashes and eyebrows. Pulling the blade you let it rest on the metal table, as the blade glowed hot orange. Starting to hammer it straight you felt a sense of satisfaction.

"It's coming along nicely" Sir Finn commented, the retired knight owned the shop you worked at.

Dunking it, in the water steam filled the workspace. "I can take it from here, run along home. I'll be seeing you bright and early tomorrow" He said, pulling a small bag of gold coins off. Handing them to you, a week's worth of hard work. "Thank you, sir" You pipped up, while brushing the loose ash off your clothes. Whatever day I get paid is my favorite day of the week!

The clothing you usually adorned were more traditionally male clothes. It wasn't a choice out of your own making. Your Father preferred you present as a man, citing it'll be easier to find better jobs. Village Mora was generally more progressive than other villages you heard from travelers. Though most people were expected to do the duty their sex required, nobody would really chastise someone for being a little 'different'. People kept to their own business in that way, as long as you contributed.

You walked over the patches of long grass as your home came into sight. It was a modest stone cottage enough for you and Dad. "I'm home, and It's payday!" You announced, walking in. Loud fits of coughing alarmed you. Quickly grasping your flask you ran to your Father's room. "Here drink this" You pushed the flash into the man's hand. He took a few gulps before talking.

"I'm sorry my child, I suddenly had trouble breathing" He wheezed, as you sat by his bedside worried. Your father always had fits of worsening health before getting better. But at some point, he stopped getting better. His h/c hair lost its shine, he started losing weight, and had gotten weaker. The both of you tried everything from priests to herbal remedies, but nothing helped.

"Should I go out and buy some honey? It'll soothe your throat" You gently suggested. He shook his head. "Go out and get some firewood instead it's going to get cold soon I can feel it". You held back a sigh. You wanted to help him, but it only seemed to push him further away. "I'll get some after I visit the Yara's. I agreed to watch the little one while they ran errands" You promised.

It was a rather quick walk seeing that they were your neighbors. Knocking on the door you patiently waited outside. "Ha-I knew that it would be you!" Dusk snickered as you rolled your eyes. "Do you want a gold medal?" You sarcastically shot back. "Whatever get in" He chuckled letting you in the house. "Hello Y/n, we'll be back in a few hours Dawn is still taking a nap" Julisa quickly said while packing a bag.

Julisa and her husband Amul practically knew you, your whole life. She was a sweet short lady who was old friends with your father. "Thank you for watching her" Amul said, as his other child followed. "Hey Y/n! Wanna hang out later this week" Evie pipped up. You smiled "If I'm still able to walk after work. "Heh I remember your second day working for that knight, I practically had to carry you home" Dusk pointed out, as you elbowed him "Pft I'm never asking you for help again".

"Alright everyone out of the house we have things to do" Julisa said clasping her hands. Every time you came to the household a warm feeling came over you.

Their family was lively and so full of love. A stark contrast to your quiet and dull home.

As they filtered out, Dusk gave you a wave before shutting the door. Walking over to a small cot little Dawn started to stir and wake up. "Hey, sweet girl wakey wakey" You gently patted her head. With a small whine, she opened her eyes as a wide smile graced her little face. She was 3 years old with Amul's brown skin and Julisa's light eyes. "Y/n!!" She yelled as you slightly winced, already starting to regret waking her up.

By the time they all came home, you were worn out. Playing tag and pushing her on the swing. To console her cries when you wouldn't try and eat candles with her. "Here, you go Y/n" Amul handed you some coins. "Oh you don't have to I don't mind watching her from time to time" You said, heart, warmed from the gesture still. "Your a good kid Y/n. I know your father isn't doing well, don't be afraid to ask us for help" He said, putting a hand on your shoulder. "Thank you" You softly said.

 "Thank you" You softly said

Hope you enjoyed!