Chp 7:

Samara:

It honestly felt like a thousand bricks had been lifted off of my shoulders. I was carrying that secret around for too damn long. Everyone in our town had assumed he had an electrical fire of some sort. And as far as they all knew, I was out of town when it occurred.

To be fair though, telling on myself was the absolute last thing I expected to do tonight. And as I sit across from Deacon, we sip our drinks. Thankfully Jordan had vanished, a couple hours had passed by now and he and I sit around drinking, eating, and conversing.

I felt so much relief, and I was a little shocked at how well he was handling the astronomical bombshell that I had just dropped on him.

"Sorry, I know that was an extremely heavy way to start our date earlier." I tell him and he chuckles. "Yeah, maybe just a tad. It's okay...I'm sure crazier shit has happened."

I laugh awkwardly and nod.

Has it? I ask myself.

"So tell me a secret of yours...something I don't already know about you." I ask teasingly, leaning into him ever so slightly."Hmm...something you don't already know...well I come from a rather well off family that I have limited connection to. Though, we've briefly touched on that.

My best friend James, lives in Dallas. And I had never actually had seafood until I was twenty-three." He concludes his random facts and I can't help but grin from ear to ear.

"Until you were twenty-three?" He takes a bite of the nachos we ordered to the table and then follows with laughter. "Yes ma'am." I laugh along with him. "Gosh, late to the game I see!" He nods with a grin plastered across his face.

"So let's go back an unpack your family dynamic, cause you already know all about mine." I tell him with a grin. He deeply inhales as his chest rises, and then exhales as I watch it fall. "Alright...what do you care to know?"

"Have you ever brought a woman home to them?" I ask. His eyes stay locked in on me before he answers. "Yes, only once."

"Have you ever been in love?" I ask, sincerely curious. "Again, only  the once." I was surprised to hear that. "Why are you so elusive?" I ask, yet there was a teasing tone in my voice but I was also totally serious about my question. His brow narrows and he looks confused.

"Elusive? You think I'm elusive?" He asks with amusement. I nod. "Yeah, ever since I met you."

"I guess...I've just learned how to be a bit guarded. Which isn't always a bad thing.", "No, that's true it's not always a bad thing."

"Why all the questions?" He leans in, as his gaze moves from my lips to my eyes. "Secrets for secrets." I say with a shrug and he shakes his head before straightening up and adjusting his posture. "You wanna go somewhere else?" He abruptly asks and I'm immediately catapulted into more curiosity.

"Umm sure, but where?" I ask and he just stands and excuses himself briefly, as I watch him approach the cocktail waitress and he hands her his card, she charges it, he scribbles on what I assume to be a receipt and then he returns to the table.

"C'mon, let's get going.", he still wasn't making any points to clue me in on where he was taking me but all I was thinking was that I sincerely hoped this wasn't his 'Joe Goldberg' moment.

If you know, you know.

I follow closely behind him as we exit the building and we take the elevator back down to the parking lot and before I know it; we're on our way.

"I'm taking you to my parents home.", "Excuse me?" I was dumbfounded.

"You kept asking questions about them, so why not go explore where I came from."