Chapter Two

The kids and I decided to play down at the water. I put them in their swimwear, glad I packed their bags and we played together. As we splashed around, I heard a siren.

"Mom, can you hear it?" Alexander asked me.

"Yeah, I can." I told him.

"What?" Izzy asked.

"A car. Let's go. That might be them." I told them.

We got out of the water and walked to the top to see a red car pulling up.

"Mom, it hurts." The kids told me.

"I know. Come on." I said walking towards our tent. We stood right by it. "Listen to my voice." I told them, covering Alexander's ears.

I used my banshee voice and echoed it around us. Only those supernatural would see the sound waves. Slowly, the kids quieted down as my voice overpowered the car. Finally, the car stopped and I did too.

"How did you do that, mom?" Izzy asked me.

"As you get older, you learn how to develop your banshee scream into something that will give you an advantage. I'll teach you one day, just as my mom and aunt Lydia taught me." I told her.

She nodded and I picked up Athena, before we walked to the others. I saw as Carl and Lori hugged someone. They were crying. I assumed this was Rick.

"I miss dad." Alexander told me.

"I know, baby. I miss him too." I told him. I brought him into a side hug, before we all walked away.

We sat on the blanket near our tree and colored together. Night came and we had a bonfire as Rick explained his story. Turns out he was the cop that was shot that day we had a gsw in the hospital. As Alec leaned on me, with Izzy on mt other side, and Thena in my lap, we all shared my big comforter together, surrounded by the campfire.

"Disoriented. I guess that comes closest. Disoriented. Fear, confusion--All those things but... disoriented comes closest." He explained.

"Words can be meager things. Sometimes they fall short." Dale spoke.

"I felt like I'd been ripped out of my life and put somewhere else. For a while I thought I was trapped in some coma dream, something I might not wake up from ever." He told us.

"Mom said you died." Carl told him.

"She had every reason to believe that. Don't you ever doubt it." Rick told him.

"When things started to get really bad, they told me at the hospital that they were gonna medevac you and the other patients to Atlanta, and it never happened." Lori told him.

That is what the hospital was supposed to do, but with the virus going around we couldn't. I thought.

"Well, I'm not surprised after Atlanta fell." Rick said.

"Yeah." Lori agreed.

"And from the look of that hospital, it got overrun." Rick added.

"Yeah, looks don't deceive. I barely got them out, you know?" Shane told him.

"I can't tell you how grateful I am to you, Shane. I can't begin to express it." Rick told him.

I couldn't help but feel sorry for him, knowing his wife is screwing his best friend.

"There go those words falling short again. Paltry things." Dale spoke.

We all just listened to the quietness, before we saw Ed put more wood in. I knew things we're going to escalate again.