The Quarry

I woke up just like any other day and made breakfast for the kids. I made their plates, before going upstairs and putting on jeans and a shirt, with tennis shoes. Afterwards, I woke the kids up and we had breakfast together.

"Mommy, where are we going camping?" Thena asked me.

"I was thinking of the quarry. It's far away from the city and surround by trees, with a water source nearby." I told them.

"Okay." she said, continuing to eat.

"Mom, the voices are getting louder." Izzy told me.

"Do you need to scream?" I asked her.

She nodded her head and we went downstairs.

"Scream, Isabelle." I told her, just as she screamed.

She released the scream, yelling one specific name. Nora.

"Mommy, is Nora going to die?" She asked me, crying.

"I don't know, baby. I don't know." I told her, hugging her.

"Mom!" Alexander yelled.

I picked Izzy up and went upstairs.

"What is it, Alec?" I asked him.

"Look." He told me pointing to the sky. Jets everywhere.

"Okay, it's time to go. Get dressed in something comfrotable now. Don't forget your sword and bow/arrows." I told the kids.

We went upstairs and I helped Athena change into something fit for this weather. We went downstairs and I put all my weapons on me. I strapped my pistol to my side, my special design knives in my back pocket, my knife the same as the kids in my shoe, before grabbing my sword.

The kids came downstairs and I grabbed my phone and keys.

"Come on. We're taking the truck." I told them.

I locked the door and unlocked the truck. I helped buckle Athena in.

"Mom." Alec called, sounding scared.

I looked up and saw our neighbor, Nora. 

"Get in the truck, NOW." I ordered.

I saw Alec get in the truck and lock it. I grabbed my sword.

"Nora." I called out, but all she...it did was turn towards me. "I'm sorry." I told her before stabbing her through the head.

I sheathed my sword, before getting into the truck. I could hear the girls crying.

"What's happening, mom?" Izzy asked me in tears.

"I'll explain as soon as we are safe." I told her, driving out of the driveway.

As I drove out of the city, it was packed with cars. I saw some people in front of me. 

"Stay here. I'm gonna go talk to those people." I told the kids.

"No, mommy/mom." The girls cried out.

"I'll be quick. Just stay in the truck. Lock the doors." I told them, grabbing my sword.

"Hi, I'm Stella." I greeted.

"Shane. That's Lori and Carl." The guy introduced.

"Do you know what's happening?" I asked.

"There are people biting people. They come up like the dead and eat people. I was at the hospital when it was over run." he told me.

It was sad to hear that the hospital was over run. I went back to the truck, but before I opened the door, I saw jets flying and firing missiles into the city. I opened the truck and started it up. They blew up the city. I started driving, following these other vehicles. They had the same idea as me. 

We made it to the quarry, alongside the other vehicles.

"Come on, babies. I need y'all to stay close to me." I told them. 

I unbuckled Athena, keeping her in my arms. I closed the door and walked towards the others. 

"Hi, I'm stella Hale. These are my kids, Alec, Izzy, and Thena." I told everyone as we introduced ourselves.

"Alright. We need to set up camp." Shane told us.

The kids and I went back to the truck, and I got the tent out. I set it up and had the kids take their bags inside. I passed their blankets and pillow to them. I took a packet of water and juice inside the tent, hidden from the others. Thank God it's dark. I grabbed some food and placed it inside. I put all the boxes together in a corner of the tent.

"Mommy, what are we going to do?" Athena asked.

"We're going to stay out here, with these people. If it starts becoming unsafe, we will leave, but the more people, the safer we are. Now, get some sleep," I told them.

I got underneath my comforter, just as Athen crawled next to me, with Izzy on my other side. Alexander was next Athena all under my blanket. I hummed a song and slowly listened to my kids sleep. 

I went to sleep, knowing my kids are safe in my arms.