Chapter 65: The Madness of Preparation

Magsimula sa umpisa

"We still need to put another railing on the other side of the bridge," added Sara, bending to help.

"Why should we have to do that," grumbled Gloin. "We've always gotten along fine without them."

"How often have you had human children inside the mountain," said Sara, trying not to sound defensive. In truth she had been the one to point out the lack of railing to Thorin and without argument he had agreed to rail both sides of the bridge and along the edge of drops. She suspected he wished not only to assure the children's safety but also sought a way to assuage her own budding fear of heights.

"Still they'll only be staying here till spring, summer at the latest," argued Gloin. "There's no sense changing everything just for them. This is a dwarf kingdom, not an inn."

A particularly large stone landed about a foot from where Gloin stood. He jumped back as the force of the impact shattered the stone and sent debris spraying over him.

"By Durin's beard! Dwalin, watch yer aim!" shouted Gloin, brushing debris from his clothes.

"I would think that ya would be more inclined to Sara's point of view seeing as yer the one with a youngster of yer own," said Dwalin, bending to grip another fist-sized stone. "It's a long way down and Dwarves don't fly nor bounce."

"I've never fallen from a bridge and neither shall Gimli."

A second stone exploded just a few inches from Gloin's foot.

"That one was deliberate," accused Gloin, dodging.

"Never said the first one wasn't," replied Dwalin, bending for yet another.

"Dwalin," shot Balin, getting between them. Dwalin ignored him and continued to work. "It doesn't matter what we think," said Balin, looking to Gloin. "Thorin ordered it be done and so it'll be done. Understood?" Gloin looked unhappy but nodded.

They all returned to the task at hand and slowly the gap between rocks grew wider allowing a larger flow of water through. Sara glanced up, feeling someone's eyes on her only to find Dwalin watching her. Given the exchange moments before Sara could not help but harbor the sneaking suspicion that Dwalin had been told of her ordeal on the dark bridge with Smaug. Thorin must have said something to him. It would explain his new and slightly overprotective though not unwelcome care for her around great heights.

"What is it?" she asked. He pointed off across the chasm to where Bilbo was clambering over rubble and making his way toward them, his little elven light bobbing in the dark.

"Suppose he's got a message from Thorin."

The past few days Bilbo had been the go-between for Thorin and the rest of the company as it was still difficult and painful for Thorin to walk great distances. At first, Sara had volunteered to be the messenger but Thorin had quickly vetoed that, reminding Sara that she was prone to losing her way. Reluctantly she agreed and opted to remain with the company and do what work she could.

Sara bent to place the rock she had been moving but momentarily pinched her middle finger between the stones. Freeing it she examined the blood forming on the slight abrasion before popping it into her mouth.

"Ya alright?" asked Dwalin, eyeing her as they both turned to go meet Bilbo. She shrugged and rolled her eyes.

"I'm fine," she said around the digit. Dwalin glanced back at Oin and then at her. "I'm fine!" she insisted, irritably pulling the bruised finger from her mouth and showing him. "No big deal so don't bother calling Oin. Nothing he could do about it."

Dwalin smirked but continued. "I reckon he could find something."

"You mean other than twit me for injuring myself again?"