Chapter 29: Awake

In which Thorin wakes.

"How do you know about The Hobbit?" asked Sara, sitting down on a rock, still struggling to process that Nori and Bifur could have found out. She was suddenly very grateful that Nori had insisted that she follow him away from the others and she realized his purpose in leading her here to the waterfall, for it would work to mask their words.

"First tell us how you came to have a complete record of our journey in your phone," said Nori, leaning back against the large rock behind him.

"What do you know?" she asked, resting her chin in her right hand wincing a bit at the pain in her wrist.

"That is our question for you. What have you been keeping from us?"

"Quite a bit," she said weekly, not meeting their eyes. "Unfortunately there is a lot I can't tell you." Bifur said something to Nori in dwarvish.

"Bifur has suspected for some time that you were hiding something. Several times he noticed inconsistencies in your supposed lack of knowledge." She was quiet for some time studying them.

"Such as?"

Nori shook his head. "Not until you tell us how you have a complete record of our journey in your phone."

"But how do you know about it?" she asked, her voice growing in irritation. "I had only had it for a few days. How did you find out?"

The two dwarves shared a short secret conversation that ended with Bifur pointing accusingly at Nori and then to Sara. Nori sighed and turned back to her. "I borrowed your phone when you passed out a couple nights ago," he said. Bifur added something in dwarvish before he too took a seat and bent to pick up several loose feathers setting them adrift in a puddle.

"Borrowed usually means you asked first," said Sara, scowling at the thief.

"It appears Bifur would agree with you, though I am inclined to disagree," said Nori succinctly.

"You would," she grumbled, picking up a stick at her feet.

"Regardless, we know, so explain it."

She blew out a breath. "I'm not entirely sure I can."

"Try," he said, shoving his hands into his pockets. Sara heard metal clinking.

"I mean I'm not supposed to."

"Why?" asked Nori souldering off the rock.

"Because I advised her not to," said Gandalf, stepping around the boulder behind Nori. "I advised her to keep it a secret." The two dwarves turned, startled slightly by the wizard's sudden appearance.

"Figures you would have something to do with this," muttered Nori pulling his hands from his pockets to fold his arms over his chest once again.

"I advised her to keep this secret, partially for her own safety, and also because the knowledge she has is not relevant to this company."

"How is a complete chronicle of our march to Erebor not relevant to us?" countered Nori.

It was Gandalf's turn to look confused. "Whatever are you talking about Nori?" he asked.