Chapter Nineteen: Home Bound

Andre and Zuri held back what was left of Carnadine's soldiers as explosions and the clanging of swords rang out, but Adrian registered none of it.

He stood, his trembling hand resting on the inactive archway. "Jacques!" he screamed, knowing fully well no one was going to answer. "Jacques, please! Jacques..." He let out a small whimper, bowing his head. "No..."

"Ian, look out!" Zuri yelled, and he turned in time to see the inventor throw their baton into an oncoming soldier that would have sliced through him otherwise. The body crackled with electricity before it crumpled to the floor. "No time to be distracted!"

"Zuri, what do we do?"

"What do you mean? Where's Jacques?"

He bit his lip to stop it from trembling. "He's still on the other side."

"What?" Their eyes searched the empty archway. "What do you mean, on the other side? I don't know if you noticed, but the portal is inactive. Only a magic user can reactivate it from the Elderian side, and you're saying our magic user is on the wrong side?"

"It's not just that. He's trapped there with Carnadine and all of these old world Spillers."

"Huh?" They grabbed onto him fiercely, but then the two found themselves with swords to their throats.

"Drop the weapons," a rough voice spoke, and they obeyed.

Zuri's eyes did not leave Adrian's. "Do you think he'll last long enough for us to get Aveline to reopen the portal?"

He swallowed, the blade at his throat uncomfortably close to lacerating skin. "I don't know, and that's if Aveline will agree to even open it."

"Shut it!" the soldier holding Zuri barked. "Where is Carnadine? Reopen the portal at once!"

"We can't, dipshit," Zuri said. "Were you even listening? Only a magic user can."

"What? Then get a magic user and open it!"

"Uh huh. You know of any? Your leader is trapped over there until you can find one, Buddy."

"Then you're of no use."

"W-wait!" Adrian shouted, and for a moment, he thought he was about to witness Zuri's execution as the soldier made to slide the sword across their throat when something prevented him. Both soldiers burst into green particles and the two teammates were left gawking at each other.

Adrian glanced over to see that all Carnadine's remaining followers had also turned to mere emerald powder on the ground. Andre stood in the middle of it all, holding his battle axe mid swing, blinking in confusion.

"What the fu—" Zuri began, when Adrian gasped.

Looking at the still active Totrium now, he spotted a short man with a black ponytail standing in the entryway with glowing eyes and his hands stretched out. The light slowly went out of him, and their beloved leader tilted forward.

Not remembering moving, Adrian was there all of a sudden, catching him in his arms. "Jacques! Are you alright?"

Bronze fingers weakly gripped the front of his shirt. "F-fine, Sweetheart."

They were both crushed in a hug as Andre wrapped his arms around the two of them. "I saw the portal go dark," the older brother choked. "Thought we'd lost you."

"Can't get rid of me that easily," he wheezed, and they pulled apart.

"Jacques, you fucking idiot!" Zuri yelled, claiming the next hug. "How did you get back through the portal?"