Chapter Eleven: Good Company

It took some trial and error as Adrian directed Jacques on how to set the boat in motion with ancient Elden incantations combined with new magic techniques the smaller man was unfamiliar with.

After that, it was a matter of getting their things onto the ship. They had begun taking painstaking trips up and down the ladder when Adrian discovered a ramp could be activated to lower where the donkeys could be led up and housed in the belly of the ship. This area could also be accessed through a golden trap door on deck.

Convincing Tulipe to go up into the flying machine proved difficult, what with Adrian's injured state and the fact that she would move for no one except her beloved master.

After luring her in with a pear while leaning up against one of the masts, Adrian finally grabbed her by the reins at the top, leading her away into the room with stalls that looked like it was designed specifically to hold livestock.

The loud sound they'd heard under the ship, they discovered, was in fact two large glass fins attached on the bottom that had extended downwards, most likely used for aerodynamic purposes while the vessel was in the air. The fins retracted when they touched solid ground, which sent Zuri into a delighted frenzy.

Through the door below the helm and past a tight hallway, was a large bedroom with three solid, black glass bed frames and enormous, emerald tinted windows that they soon discovered were only transparent from the inside. Any sort of mattress, blankets, or sheets that had been there previously had withered away with time, but this did not dampen anyone's spirits.

"We'll buy some bedding in town," Jacques had said. "In the meantime, we can use the blankets we have."

Next to the bedroom, there were two other doors. One led to a small storage room where food and supplies could be kept and the other led to a humble-sized kitchen that nearly brought tears to Andre's eyes.

"I've never seen anything more beautiful," the man said, stroking one of the sleek counter tops.

"We'll just need to clean everything off at some point," Jacques said, swiping his finger over the ancient stove and bringing it back covered in dust.

"That'll be easier to do once we get in town," Zuri said. "I've been working on some chemical solutions that would work really well removing the dust from the black glass, but I'll need the supplies for it."

"We'll reach Hauteland much sooner now," Jacques insisted, "so we won't need to be so stingy with our supplies and we won't have to make that risky aquifer stop."

"Thank the stars."

Once everything had been packed up and the ramp raised, Adrian, Zuri, and Jacques stood around the helm. Adrian propped himself up against the raised platform as he read over the journal, giving different advice and commands as they flew through the air. Andre was in the kitchen, starting on their lunch.

"Zuri," Adrian instructed firmly, "once Jacques activates the crystal and sets the ship in motion, anyone can steer it. You want to try it out?"

They nodded, taking the helm from him.

"I can teach them from here, Ian," Jacques said, meeting his gaze "You really should rest below deck. You're looking faint again."

Adrian couldn't deny the way his legs wobbled and how his head wouldn't stop buzzing. "Yeah, okay." He pushed himself up with his right arm, putting his weight on his legs.

"Zuri, why don't you take him to one of the beds and make sure he doesn't pass out again on the way over while I steer this thing?"

They nodded. "On it, Boss."