Chapter Eight: Secrets

Adrian knocked on the little front door while the others stood behind him with the donkeys.

Tulipe recognized her home immediately and roamed around the front yard happily, stopping to nibble at a patch of dried grass. It'd taken two and a half days exactly to reach Boden's since the first night they camped, almost exactly as Jacques had predicted.

The door swung open, and the king found himself grinning broadly. "Bo—"

He was pulled into a bone crushing hug. "Oh, Ian," his mentor said warmly. "It's so good to see you, Lad."

Adrian wrapped his arms around him in response, holding the shorter man tightly. "Thought I'd stop by and visit while I'm here."

"You can visit whenever you want. Did you find what you were looking for in Elden Town?"

"Sort of."

Boden pulled away and spotted the silent crew in the back. "Who's all this?"

"These are my traveling companions," Adrian said proudly, gesturing to each of them as he spoke. "That's Zuri, Andre, and Jacques."

"Hello there!" Zuri called while Andre only nodded in acknowledgment.

"Ian's told us a lot about you," Jacques said, his arms folded in an unsure manner.

Boden smiled at all of them, walking up and giving each of them a hug. Despite Jacques's reluctance, he opted to hug the older man back, his expression aloof.

"I'm sure you're all great folk if Ian considers you his companions. Well, come on in. We're just starting dinner. I can't have you visit without feeding you."

"Are you sure?" Adrian questioned. "There's not too many of us?"

He waved his hand dismissively. "Of course, not. You all need a place to stay too, don't you? I can't guarantee a bed for everyone, but we have at least two."

"Bo, you don't have to—"

"But I want to. It's the least I can do. I've thought a lot about you since you left, and you were always such a great help." After patting him warmly on the shoulder, he glanced at the others. "I lock the gate at night, so you can tie your donkeys to the fence or even just let them roam around—Oh, I see you brought Tulipe back safe and healthy!" At the mention of the donkey's name, the irritable creature perked her head up, then scampered over to her master. Andre tied the other two donkeys and removed the heavy barrels from their backs with Zuri's help.

Tulipe nuzzled against Boden's hand gently.

Jacques let out a huff. "She's nice to you too? She won't let any of us near her except Ian."

The older man laughed. "She's an odd one. I think she saw Ian with me enough times while he was here that she associates him with me. Tulipe hates my wife too. Bit her real good one time."

"Yeah, her and me both." He absentmindedly rubbed the top of his hand.

"Sorry about that. I've tried everything to get her to be more polite, but she's very stubborn."

"Hm," came Zuri's voice as they came to stand by him, "sounds like someone we know."

Jacques scowled at them.

"Why don't you all come in," Boden said warmly, gesturing inside as he turned to walk through the door.

They followed, and as soon as Adrian entered the kitchen, he was getting a bone crushing hug from a towering blonde woman.

"I thought that was you, Ian! How have you been, Dear?"

"Great, Avril," he wheezed. "What about you?"