Chapter One: Hard Beginnings

"Adrian, you can't leave right now! What about Father's funeral?" The curly haired prince with ivory skin and green eyes stood with arms folded, furrowing eyebrows at his brother.

King Adrian stood in front of his lavish bed wearing a simple red tunic with puffed sleeves and brown pants that stopped right below his knee, drawing attention to white stockings. A leather bag was slung over his shoulder and a sword hung sheathed on his left hip. Blond, shoulder-length hair was covered by a soft bonnet with a turned-up brim.

The king passed as a regular Nebrasian townsperson.

"Tony, I need to learn more about Mother's work," he said, slipping an extra pair of stockings into his bag. "Before he passed, Father wanted us to have the Alchemist journal and the relic she found." Antoine went rigid at that. "He did it for a reason. She was hiding a whole other life, and she found something. Something important. I need to know what it was. Aren't you curious too?"

"Of course, I am, but don't forget, we don't even know if it's safe for you to be around that relic."

"Father said it was glowing when it was a threat, but it's inactive now. It won't hurt me."

"You don't know that, and we can't just abandon the kingdom for a lengthy quest."

"We won't be abandoning it, because..." His words trailed off. "Tony, only I will take this journey."

Antoine gaped at him. "What are you talking about?"

He placed a comforting hand on his brother's shoulder. "I'm going to need you to stand in for me while I'm away. I'm not sure how long I will be gone, but I will return as soon as—"

"Stand in?" he exclaimed. "You're suggesting I be a prince regent? I am not adequate for such a position. You need to stay here and be our ruler."

"You've shadowed me for years, Tony. I know you didn't see it that way, but you're ready for this."

"The people will not like it. You are Nebrasia's beloved king. No ruler is or ever has been more adored."

"Royals travel from time to time. It is not so uncommon. Mother did it."

"I suppose, but she was not the king of Nebrasia."

"It makes no difference. It'll be alright, Tony. I will return once my quest is complete."

"Must you go alone?"

"Yes." His hand slid off Antoine's shoulder. "You certainly can't leave Madi behind, and someone must take care of the kingdom in my stead."

The prince exhaled, running a hand through his hair. "I don't understand. Don't you feel a responsibility to your people?"

He let out a short laugh. "I've dedicated most of my life to my people. I prevented us from war and suffered through years of negotiations and politics. I've put my country before myself for so long, I don't even know who I am. I don't know if I've ever known." He gave a soft exhale, his blue eyes wandering over to a bundle of dried pink cyclamen flowers that lay on his dresser. "Besides...of the two of us, I have no major attachments I'd be leaving behind."

Antoine searched his face. "Does you leaving also have something to do with Madi?" The king's cheeks flushed slightly. "I know you haven't gotten over her yet, and normally I'd be so angry with you for that, but I find I can't be."

Adrian could not meet the green-eyed gaze. "I'm sorry. I never wished for you to find out. You...haven't told her, have you?"

"Of course, not. I'm still your brother so I respect your dignity. What am I supposed to say to her, 'oh, hello, Wife, my brother still has feelings for you?' No. I am not so cruel."