Chapter Three: The Value of a Life

The disheveled, frightened man sputtered underneath the Nebrasian king's blade. "K-King Adrian? I had no idea you were in Venwick. If I had known, I would have prepared for your arrival and given you a proper tour of the place—"

"Enough groveling," he growled, his expression deadly. "I wrote those water laws with the specific intent to make water more available for Venwickins, not so you could capitalize on desperate people for your own personal gain."

"Please, Your Majesty. We must make profit somehow—" He winced as the blade pressed deeper into his skin.

"You already receive a soldier's wage. Perhaps, you think that's not enough?"

The man shook his head quickly. "No, no, Your Highness. It is plenty."

"Then would you care to explain what this little side hustle is and why I shouldn't cut you down right now for making innocent people suffer?"

He trembled in fear. "Sire, p-please. I-I will lower the prices if that makes you happy—"

"If it makes me happy?" He let out a short laugh. "You're despicable. I expect you to give my friend his water free of charge, and then you're going to lower the prices to what they should be. You're to stop charging extra for water brought in the city."

"But, Sir, the water market would plummet—"

"You mean you wouldn't be able to rob people to fund your vanity projects? I am well aware how it will affect the market, but your little stunt is over."

The king was led out of the still shaking man's room by a couple of water guards.

"Sire—" one of them said quickly, but Adrian cut him off.

"Don't address me as royalty. If word gets out that I was here, I'll have both your heads. As far as you know, I'm just a Venwickin townsperson."

"Yes, Your Maj—"

The other guard elbowed his companion in the ribs. "We understand," he finished.

"Good. Now, let me use your letter room."

"O-of course."

They walked with purpose to the large room filled with pigeons he'd spied earlier. Without wasting any time, Adrian grabbed a quill and parchment, and quickly scribbled out a letter addressing the current issue.

Using their fastest pigeons, Adrian sent it out, watching the pale wings disappear into the night. He hoped it would reach his brother soon and something could be done soon to fix this disaster he'd caused.

ϟ ϟ ϟ 

The sun shone into their tent, and Adrian, half asleep, complained as Boden shook his shoulder.

"Hey, did you not sleep well, Ian?" he asked, and the blue eyes finally opened.

"I guess I'm not really used to sleeping on the ground," he lied. After his exciting night out, he'd passed out almost instantly once his body hit the sleeping bag.

"Well, we'll be able to sleep in New Minoka tonight if we can get moving soon."

"Weren't we going to ask for water again today?"

He heaved a sigh. "I don't know, Ian. We'll probably be better off coming back in a few days—"

"Let's try again," he said firmly. "If it's the same as yesterday, we'll leave, but let's not give up yet."

Boden raised an eyebrow. "You're awfully confident." He smacked a hand down on the younger man's shoulder with a grin. "I like your attitude. Let's not waste any more time then."