Chapter Fifteen: Hope and Despair

All previous gusto visibly depleted from their leader's body as the group entered the small tavern. Jacques looked around anxiously, wringing his hands, which was so entirely out of character for the normally blusterous, assertive leader, Adrian couldn't help but be concerned, wondering why in Elderian he'd decided to come with them last second.

As they made their way through the bar, they went unnoticed and Adrian thought for a moment they might be in the clear when someone at the counter called, "Oi, Andre, is that you?" They all looked over at the young bartender behind the counter. "It totally is!"

The large black man approached. "How you doing, Marceau?"

"Just dandy! Oh, Jacques, you're here too! Been like what, seven years?"

The leader grasped his arm with the other. "Uh, yup."

"What have you two been up to?"

"You know, traveling and stuff."

"That sounds so exciting. People in Surtrum rarely come and go, so it's always refreshing to hear about people's travels."

"I'm sure."

"You in town for long?"

He shook his head. "Just a few days while we get supplies."

The man hummed a note of understanding. "Well, that's a shame. It's good to see you both. I'll get a round of ales started for you four."

"Thanks, Marceau."

Jacques led them to the back of the small tavern at a table in the corner. He collapsed into a chair, letting out a long exhale.

"That wasn't so bad," Zuri said, sitting on Adrian's left while Andre sat on his right. "That guy seemed nice."

"Let's just hope no one else recognizes us," he mumbled, arms folded.

"I doubt most would," Andre said. "You look way different now than you used to."

"Didn't you used to have short hair?" Zuri asked.

Adrian's eyes widened at the prospect. "Short hair?"

Jacques nodded, tossing his ponytail with one hand. "Didn't always have these luscious locks."

He shook his head in disbelief. "I can't see it."

"It was so short it was practically shaved."

His jaw dropped and Jacques smirked slightly at the expression. "No. You're kidding."

"You can ask Andre."

Their drinks arrived then. Soon they were all drinking pretty heavily, Jacques consuming as much alcohol as quickly as possible until Andre had to quickly cut him off.

"Leave me be!" he complained, but Andre kept the tankard out of his reach.

"I don't think it's a good idea."

"You wanted me to unwind, so this is me unwinding."

"I don't want to see you wasted. Not here."

He exhaled. "Then I'm going back to the ship." He made to stand when he froze in place. "Shit." He quickly sat again, hiding his face with one hand, his eyes flicking to the ground.

Adrian went to look behind him when Andre was grabbing his shoulder to stop him. "Don't draw attention," he hissed.

"Did they see us?" Jacques whispered behind his hand.

Andre snuck a peek, his face tensing. "Fuck."

"What, what?"

"They're coming over."