Chapter Twelve: Something New

Zuri carefully removed the bandage from Adrian's arm. A horrific, marred scar waited beneath, but other than that, the wound had completely healed up.

"I think you've finally graduated from the splint," they said encouragingly. "Does it hurt at all? Try moving it around."

Adrian extended the arm out slowly, then moved it around in careful circles. "It feels great, though, does it look a bit crooked?" He stretched it out, eyeing the way it abnormally curved slightly to one side.

They examined it. "Hm, guess it healed a little funny, huh? That's pretty normal. You can still use it just fine, right?"

"Yeah, I think so. I'm just glad I can use it at all. It feels so nice to have it out of the splint."

"Oh, I bet." They stood from their kneeling position. "You coming into town with us? Jacques and Andre will pick up the food and bedding, if you want to come with me to buy some supplies for my projects and we can get you some clothes."

His face brightened at the last one. "Yeah, I'll come."

Adrian bought two new outfits for himself that were similar in fashion to the old ones. He was especially excited to try on the rusty orange crossover shirt that Zuri told him would bring out the blue in his eyes. Something about being royalty made him especially vain when it came to his appearance. He had always liked to see a sharp, well-dressed image staring back at him in his reflection, and now was no exception.

There was a spring in his step as he walked down the busy street of Hauteland, wanting more than anything to get back to the ship to change. He soon found himself standing in a parts shop that was heaven for Zuri as they skirted about the place stopping at each new, exciting thing they found and touching everything they came into contact with.

"Ian, look at this!" They held up some kind of steel hinge. "We can buy some of these, right? They're the best quality for my little water drills."

He came over and looked at the pieces. "Why are you asking me? The money is everyone's now, remember? Buy whatever you need for your inventions."

A splitting grin crossed their face. "Yeah, you're right. I'm gonna get a fucking steel hinge and no one can say anything about it."

He laughed.

"Zuri, you're the heaviest spender of all of us." It was Jacques who spoke, and they both turned to see him and Andre entering the shop. "How'd I know you'd be in here?"

"Oh, Jacques!" The inventor bounded over to him excitedly. "Hauteland has such a wide selection of stuff! I was able to get all the chemicals I need to clean the ship and a bunch of other stuff to make some inventions that should make us better prepared to fight Carnadine if we have to again."

"That's great. Did you restock on our medical supplies as well?"

"I sure did! I'm probably going to be in here for a while though." Their eyes darted around excitedly as they said it. "There's so much to look at."

"What'd you get, Ian?" he asked, cocking his head to the side as his eyes fell on the small bag Adrian was carrying. "Clothes?"

He nodded proudly. "Was getting a bit tired of the ripped, bloody ones."

"Hey, Jacques," Andre cut in, placing a hand on the leader's shoulder, "I really should get all the food back to the ship and get started on lunch. D'you get everything you needed?"

He looked up at him. "We still need bedding for the bedframes, but you go ahead and start lunch."

"I'll come with you, Andre," Adrian said enthusiastically, wanting any excuse to change. "I can help you put everything away."