Chapter Two: The Water Laws

"Quickly," the older man hissed.

The king sprinted after him, a million thoughts racing through his head. He watched the shorter man with weary eyes as they went further into town, passing through alleyway after alleyway in silence.

After a while, they stopped in front of a small house with a tall metal gate surrounding it. Similar houses were wedged on either side of it with no gaps in between the meeting walls.

Unlocking the front door, the older man ushered Adrian inside, but the blond hesitated.

"If you're concerned, you can go back to the Inn," he said, "but I recommend lying low here for a few hours." He stepped ahead into the house, and Adrian stared after him for a long moment before sighing and following after.

Inside was warm and surprisingly cozy. The door led straight into a small kitchen where different spices, dried fruits, and vegetables hung from the low ceiling over clay countertops.

There was a tall, muscly woman with blond hair and green eyes cooking something over a little stove. When she looked up, her face spread into a big smile.

"Bo!" She ran up to the older man, towering over him as she pulled him in a tight hug, kissing him on the cheek. "You came back so late. I was worried you'd miss your favorite dish. I made it just for you, Sweetheart."

"Sorry I'm late, Avril," he said in a very different voice than what he'd used with Adrian, kissing her back. "There were some issues getting the water. I'll have to travel again tomorrow."

Avril frowned. "They've gotten so stingy with those damn water laws."

"Don't worry. We've faced worse."

She glanced behind him at the young blond man who was standing to the side stiffly.

"Who'd you bring with you?" she asked.

"This young man ran into a bit of trouble with a group of animal smugglers. He'll just stay here for a bit before he returns to his Inn."

"Smugglers again? They've been gettin real rowdy lately."

"He held up his own pretty well before I came along."

Adrian blinked at him in surprise, very much aware that his little temporary stand of bravery had not gone well.

"Anyone with those kinda guts is welcome in our home. What's your name, Dear?"

Adrian blushed slightly under her confident gaze and tall stature. "Oh, it's...Ian."

His heart stopped when the woman suddenly pulled him into a bone crushing hug, kissing his cheek as well. "Nice to meet you, Ian. The name's Avril. I'm Boden's wife. Stay and eat if you want. Food's almost ready."

"Oh," he replied, his voice muffled against her shoulder. "That won't be necessary. I appreciate the gesture, but I'd hate to impose."

They pulled out of the hug, and she raised an eyebrow. "You're a very eloquent speaker. Such a unique accent too. Where are you from?"

His face paled. "Um, Teasle." He mentally kicked himself for choosing the same remote place as before.

"Teasle? As in, Teasle—"

"Andveltica, yeah."

"Well, I've never met someone from Andveltica before. Why are you all the way out here?"

"Uh..." his voice cracked, his tired and stressed-out brain unable to come up with a coherent response.

"It's alright," Boden said, placing a hand on his shoulder. "You don't need to state your business."