Conversations of Colby

"Please, please. You don't want to do this."

"I don't? I'm pretty sure I do."

I tried swinging the bag at his face but he caught it and threw it against the wall. The contents splattering all over the ground. I watched the man pull out something out of his pocket. A gleam hit off the object and I realized that it was a knife.

"Give me your money and whatever you have of value."

"Alright, alright."

He set me down but kept the knife poised at my throat. I opened my purse and handed him all the cash I had.

"That's all I have."

He nodded and looked like he was about to leave but he looked down at my left hand.

"Give me that too."

I looked down at my engagement ring.

"No, please. This isn't worth that much. Just take the cash. I won't say anything to cops if you just take the cash and leave."

He shoved the knife back up to my throat. "What gives you the right to make demands to me? Give me the ring." He tried to pull it off my finger.

"No!"

We started to fight. He slashed the knife and it cut my stomach. The man looked shocked. He was never planning to kill me. I could see that in his eyes. He started to run off but soon after that, a figure came out of nowhere and knocked him down. The man screamed out in terror as the figure wailed on him. I grabbed my wound and walked over to where the man was getting beaten up. It was Colby that was beating the man up. He was beating the man senseless. I had to stop him.

"Colby..."

I grabbed Colby's shoulder and Colby turned around and pushed me up against the wall and looked like he was about to hit me. I flinched as I knew what was about to come next. He released me when he realized that it was me he so violently pushed into the wall. I pushed him away from me and started to walk backwards away from him, only to end up tripping and falling to the ground. When I fell, I hit the ground harder than I should have and felt pain in the right side of my body. Memories of moments just like this crept into my mind. The yelling, the violence, the aching in every part of my body. Dylan...

Colby put his fist down as he realized that who he was about to hit was me. "Cassie. I'm so sorry. I didn't know it was you."

Colby started to walk towards me, blood covering his hands and face. I looked between the man and Colby. Colby was getting closer to me, walking towards me cautiously.

"Are you hurt?"

I looked down at the gash in my stomach. Colby did to.

"Here, let me get you to a hospital."

Colby tried to grab me to help me up but I backed away quickly from him. "Get away."

"Cass..." I could see in Colby's eyes that was just as scared as I was. He looked at me cautiously, trying to make me understand that he didn't mean to do it. I knew this but terror, true terror crept into every part of me. I had to get away from him.

"Get away!"

I stood and started running. I could hear Colby calling my name and could feel blood dripping from my wound but I just kept on running. Far away from Colby.

"He...he almost hit me...I was so scared. I had never seen him that violent before. It scared me so bad. It reminded me, well, of Dylan."

I went to the hospital and got fixed up and I was now sitting in Jon's room, talking to him while he slept.

"I don't know what to do, Jon. I want to say that he didn't mean it and he didn't, I know this. But, the way he looked. The blood on his hands and face, the violent look in his eyes. I couldn't take it. Maybe I was right to leave him all those years ago. It was better for both of us. We were happy then."

"I don't think so."

I looked to where the voice came from. Jon's nurse, Victoria, stood in the doorway. I wiped the tears from my eyes.

"Sorry for overhearing." Victoria told me as she replaced Jon's fluid bags.

"It's alright. I'm just venting. I wish Jon could say something back."

"Why don't you wait until he wakes up?"

I shook my head. "I can't get him in middle of this."

"What would he say if he was awake?"

"Probably something along the lines of 'I'm going to kill him' and 'he didn't mean it'."

"And would you listen to him?"

"Probably not."

Victoria smiled. "He seems like a nice guy."

"He is."

"Maybe you need to go get advice from someone else other than a sleeping man."

"Probably." I stood from my chair. "Thanks."

She nodded and I walked out the door.