Golden Week - Part III

It was a quiet night at the edges of Inaba, one wouldn't think a traffic accident had taken place in that street a few moments ago, but that was indeed the case. The moon in the sky illuminated the night, occasionally the rays of its faint ephemeral light would be intercepted by clouds. The street was now congested with police officers, among them Mr. Dojima was standing. He had just finished calling his family, having just heard his daughter's tantrum . It was at this moment that his assistant Mr. Adachi approached him , yawning wearily as he walked toward him , but his yawn was intercepted halfway when he noticed the depressed look on his boss's face .

" did you call your family? " he asked hesitantly " they didn't take it well , did they ? "

" no ... they didn't ... " Mr. Dojima muttered, while running his had through his forehead and temple

" do you want to go back ? I'll call the precinct again and ask them—" Mr. Adachi said while rummaging through his pocket for his phone

" no ... " Mr. Dojima said sternly, while taking out a cigarette from his pocket and igniting it for a smoke , he was glaring at the destroyed ATM " this case specifically has my name on it ... I won't let anyone else handle it "

" your name on it ... ? " Mr. Adachi's eyes widened up as he realized the meaning behind his boss's words " you mean your wife's—?! "

" sir ! " an officer interrupted the two of them " one of our checkpoints reported several suspicious cars have attempted to cross them ! "

" okay , let's go there right now! "

Yu woke up rather late that morning, still feeling groggy as he took the stairs down to the kitchen

Yu woke up rather late that morning, still feeling groggy as he took the stairs down to the kitchen. From the open windows of the house , he could see the clear sky and hear the sound of the chirping birds. This was the second day of the Golden Week holiday, and it would have been such a great day to spend outside with how clear the weather was, of course that wasn't the case for them as Mr. Dojima couldn't make it back home that day. Thinking back on the conversation he had with him on the phone, he could only lament how unfortunate it was for his uncle to be sandwiched between this much work, since both he and his daughter were looking forward to this trip so much. While he was trying to wrestle with these thoughts, he entered the living room through the kitchen. Yui was sitting on the sofa with a sketchbook drawing something, while Nanako was just staring at the TV like she wasn't even paying attention to what was shown on it, she looked so out of it that when a Junes commercial played on screen she didn't sing alongside it, Yu wondered if she actually looked more upset when it was shown.

" oh ... you're finally awake... about time... " Yui quickly sat up and walked up to Yu, keeping her voice low so Nanako wouldn't hear it " hey... I have a question for you " she whispered when she was close enough to him

Dammit ... I'm not in the mood for this ... he rolled his eyes and let a discreet sigh " what ? "

" w—well... see here ... " Yui was once again daunted by Yu's dry and hostile tone, but she steeled her nerves and continued regardless. She prefaced her question with a " this is about Nanako, okay ?! " to get him to soften his guard, before asking " I called my friends last night and we're going to Junes to hang out soon, you're staying home to watch the house, or are you going out, too ?! "