Chapter 34: Mystery Solved

Georgia turned around and stormed back into the house leaving Rowan standing over the guy.

"Where are you going?" Rowan called out.

"To get my keys!" Georgia yelled before disappearing into the house.

Rowan turned back to the guy who had stopped covering his face with his arms and was now sitting with his head in his hands. She shook her head. This kid was an idiot. Not only had he gotten trapped in doing Georgia's mother's dirty work but he had gotten caught doing it.

She glanced over at the black mask that she had discarded onto the ground. At least he tried hiding his face this time.

The door slammed behind them and Rowan turned to see Georgia stomping back their way.

"Get in the car," Georgia told her as she passed them by and walked towards her car.

"What about him?" Rowan asked.

Georgia turned back towards them as she opened the door. "Put him in the car too," she said before getting in and closing the door.

Rowan turned and looked down at the guy who had begun to scramble to get up. Rowan tackled him and forced his hands behind his back before dragging him toward the car.

"Stop! No! I can't go to jail! Let go of me!" The guy exclaimed, trying to escape Rowan's hold.

Georgia rolled down her window. "No one's taking you to the police!" She yelled. "You're coming with us to pay a visit to the woman that employed you. If you keep struggling then I may change my mind about the police part."

The guy froze and then stopped struggling, allowing Rowan to push him into the car. She walked around to the passenger's side and slid in as well.

"What do you mean we're not taking him to the police?" Rowan asked once she closed her side door. Georgia pressed the button in her car that automatically opened the property's gates and pulled off onto the street.

Georgia glanced into her rearview mirror where the guy was sitting with his head on the window. "Sure he damaged my property, but it was only because my mother paid him to do it," Georgia said. "Of course, he had the option not to, but I suppose his...situation was what made him do what he did. And he seems...remorseful."

"I-I really am sorry," the guy piped up. "I just needed some cash so that I could properly help support my daughter. My Dad...he abandoned my mom when she had me and I swore that I'd never be like him. The job seemed simple enough and a thousand dollars sounded awesome at the time but I swear the second I threw that brick I regretted it. I've been paranoid for days on end and I've just been waiting for the cops to show up at my house. When the lady—your mom—found me again...I almost shit myself. I said no to doing this but as I said, she threatened to turn me in. I had to."

The car went silent for a moment. Rowan turned to look at Georgia's reaction to his words. The woman glanced into the mirror again as she clenched her jaw.

"What's your name?" Georgia asked after a few beats.

"Johnathan Jeffries...but I go by J.J.," the guy answered.

Georgia sighed. "Well J.J., I won't take you to the station or even report this little incident as long as you continue to cooperate with us, alright?"

"Y-yes ma'am," J.J responded.

Georgia then reached over and turned up the radio as they got onto the e-way. Rowan looked at her again before turning and looking out the window on her side. It was dark as it was probably eleven at night. Streetlights flew by as Georgia pushed it to her parent's house. Rowan could feel Georgia's anger simmering and she could feel herself growing a bit angry as well. She understood that Georgia's mother didn't agree with the divorce and that she loved Adam for whatever reason, but it wasn't her place to try and forcibly keep them together. Especially not like this.