Chapter 5: 10/10 Cheesecake

"That'll be $18.53," Rowan told the old woman who proceeded to pull a jar of coins out of her bag.

She grabbed a handful of silver out of the jar and laid them on the convertible belt, counting out the amount that she owed, and she was going agonizingly slow.

Rowan didn't say anything, as she had a soft spot for old people, just as she did for kids, so she didn't have the heart to tell the woman to hurry up, even if it was technically the end of her shift.

"Oh silly me, I lost count!" The old woman announced with an innocent smile. "Let me start again."

Rowan was just about to offer the woman her help, but a woman in line behind the older woman spoke, diverting her attention.

"Hey, old lady! Hurry it up will you? Some of us have things to do!" She yelled. The woman had a hair-style that announced that she was likely a raging Karen.

"She's trying her best ma'am," Rowan said, speaking to the woman. "If you really need to leave, there are other registers open that you can go to."

"Do you see the length of those lines?" the woman asked her, motioning over to the other registers that had around ten people waiting in line each. "No thanks, I'll stay here, even if those may be faster than the pace that this turtle is moving."

Rowan and the old woman made eye contact and Rowan saw the mischievous gleam in her eyes.

"Whoops," the old woman said, dramatically putting her hands on her hips. "Lost count again."

Rowan bit her lip to stifle a laugh, which was hard when she heard the other woman groan loudly. It was obvious that the old woman had 'lost count' purposely just to piss the other woman off, though Rowan didn't mind it. She hated assholes.

She felt her phone vibrate in her pocket, and considering the old woman was still counting her money, she pulled it out, smiling when she saw that it was a text from Georgia.

Georgia: Hey, what are you up to?

R: at work, about to clock out.

R: what's up?

Georgia: Nothing, just wondered if you'd like to hang out today?

Georgia: Without the kids this time.

R: lol sure, i'm down

Georgia: Great! I'll be at your job in ten!

Rowan smiled. She hadn't expected to see Georgia today, but she certainly wasn't complaining. It wasn't like she was going to do anything today anyway.

"All done," the old woman said, handing over her coins. "Keep the change."

Rowan smiled before helping the woman by putting her bags into her cart. The woman gave her a little wave before walking off.

"Finally, I thought that old wench would never leave," the other woman said, putting a bottle of liquor on the belt.

"This register is actually closed," Rowan told the woman, just as she finished sorting the change into the register. She turned off the sign and she began grabbing her things.

"What—you can't do that!" the woman exclaimed.

"Yes I can, it's the end of my shift," Rowan told her. "Have a good day, ma'am."

Rowan smiled to herself as she pulled on her coat and walked away from the register, ignoring the yelling of the woman behind her. She felt a bit bad for the people in line behind the woman, but seeing the look on the woman's face when she closed the line was priceless. That's what she gets for being rude to that older woman.